Pets are like your family members and it is obviously very difficult to leave them alone at home or at some neighbors’ places when the entire family leaves on a trip. However, if you consider taking your pet along with you, there are thousands of doubts that come into your mind. This is because, however smart your pet may be, it might prove difficult to deal with him in unfavorable circumstances. It is very important to understand that your pet should be handled very carefully, if you want to make your journey favorable and pleasing for him as well as you. If you make all the right arrangements, the task is not that difficult also.
Remember, you cannot train your pet to travel properly in singe day only. So, it is very important that your pet is a little aware of the experiences of the journey beforehand. For this, it is very important to take your pets on a similar, but shorter trip, before you head for a long journey. Also, consider traveling with your pet only if he is sober and calm and can be controlled by your instructions. At the same time, make sure that your pet is not a travel phobic or maniac, say by mock trails. Traveling with your pet can be stressful or a lot of fun, depending upon how well you manage your vacation as well as your pet.
Tips On Traveling With Your Pets
- It is mandatory to go on mock trials, before you actually head on any kind of trip with your pets. So, let him experience something similar beforehand.
- Do not forget to make your pet go through a detailed check up, before he/she heads for any trip.
- Avoid traveling by public transport when you are with your pet. It might be uncomfortable for you as well as other passengers. If you are using your own vehicle, the task of handling your pet becomes comparatively easy.
- Traveling by air is not a very bad idea, but not an ideal way too. Flights do not make a very pleasant experience even for relaxed pets. However, if you do not have option, opt for a pet carrier.
- If you are traveling by your own vehicle, make sure that you take some breaks in-between and take your pets on some short walk, letting him stretch his body and feel free.
- If you know that your pet gets anxious on trip, you can also ask for anti-anxiety medications from his veterinary doctor. However, do not be completely dependent upon medicines and try to look for some alternative means to relieve his anxiety.
- Make sure to carry your pet's bed, bowls, seat belt or crate / kennel and bags to pick up waste.
- Keep the pet food in abundance, because your pet may refuse to eat anything from outside.
- Take care of your pets’ behavior and if you feel he is behaving abnormally, take him to the nearest veterinary hospital as soon as possible. Also, carry a first aid kit with you, for his immediate relief.