When something happens to the nose of an infant and it gets blocked, it can get pretty uncomfortable for them. It can be because of cold, or allergy but a stuffed nose can be a real problem, especially for a baby. However, there are certain things which you can do to help relieve the baby of the stuffy nose. Read on to find out some remedies of stuffy nose that your baby might have.
- It is not advisable to give medicines to babies who are less than 3 months old. Even if it is children's medicine, do not give it. Instead of solving the problem of stuffy nose, it can prove to be dangerous for the baby. So, always avoid the temptation to give medicines to an infant.
- Instead of medicines, you can use solutions that will help the stuffy nose of a baby. Saline drops are very helpful in situations like these. Put a couple of drops of saline water inside the baby's nostrils. Try and massage the side of the nose that you put the saline solution into.
- Another good option to get rid of the stuffy nose of your baby is to use some kind of suction. There are suction devices available in the market which can remove the mucus from the baby's nose. These are generally available in the pharmacy stores. A one piece, rubber bulb type suction is recommended as compared to a two piece one, since the two piece ones tend to develop leaks over time.
- Vapour bath is another good technique to get rid of the stuffy nose. Take your baby to the bathroom and turn on the shower to as hot as it can get. Sit there with the baby. As the baby breathes in the hot steam, it will loosen the phlegm in the chest which will further help in clearing the nasal passages.
- Remember, since your child has a stuffy nose, he/ she must be using mouth to breathe. That can have a dehydrating effect on the child. Make sure your child drinks lots of water, juice or other kind of liquid that will prevent dehydration.
- Many children will panic when they are not able to breathe properly through their nose because of stuffy nose. During times like these, reassurance is very important for a baby. A tender touch is more than enough to get the child to cool down.
Stuffy nose can be quite a hassle for your baby but if you follow the right steps, you can get rid of it pretty easily. Just remember, do not give your baby any kind of medicine if he/she is under 3 months of age.