Senior citizens are the jewels of our society, who have worked hard all these years for the growth of the nation, and the community. It is unfortunate that our elderly citizens have to worry about their own safety and security in the twilight of their lives. So, self defense has become even more essential for senior citizens than for women, because statistics show that the crime against seniors have overtaken the crime against women in the last few years. It is a common psychology of the criminal to look out for victims who are less capable of retaliation. Regrettably this vulnerable group includes the elderly, physically challenged, and women who often become the potential victims of the attackers. Senior citizens can avoid such a scenario once they adopt self defense and personal safety devices. Another reason for the increase in crime against senior citizens is that criminals know that most women, nowadays, carry self defense weapons in their purse, and are more alert. Hence, the attention of muggers has shifted to this vulnerable group. For safety and security, senior citizens must also be aware of self defense techniques that will help in considerably reducing the crimes against them. Here are few tips to help senior citizens employ self defense techniques.
Tips On Self Defense For Seniors
- The most important thing is that the fitter you are the better are the chances of facing an attacker without getting hurt. To stay fit, senior citizens should maintain an exercise routine that focuses on building their strength and stamina. Their fitness will help them to break free, and move to a safer side during an attack.
- Seniors should also keep a weapon handy, though not necessarily a knife or a gun. Anything that can help them to ward off an attack is a good enough weapon. Harmless items like a pen, an umbrella, keys, or a cane, can be used as weapons. They can defend themselves by striking at the most vulnerable areas of the attacker like using a pen or key to poke the eyes. This will have more impact rather than poking the arms or legs.
- It is natural that with growing age, the strength and agility of a person tend to decrease. So, seniors should enroll in self defense classes that are especially designed keeping in mind their needs and requirements. In these classes seniors can learn how to use simple items, like a cane, as weapons to defend themselves.
- Senior citizens should present themselves confidently, and avoid looking vulnerable. They should be aware of their surroundings, and carry minimum luggage. Too many bags can hamper their ability to defend in case of an attack. A confident outlook will make the potential attackers think twice before considering senior citizens as their target.
- Seniors should always be prepared for emergency situations. They can carry a whistle on their keychain or carry a boat horn, or raise an alarm in the car by using the keychain remote. In case of an attack, loud noise and setting of an alarm can bring much of the unwanted attention to the attacker and can scarring off a mugger.
- In case of an attack senior citizens should know where to strike an attacker to break free. One way to attack is to aim at areas that are weak spots such as nose, eyes and throat. A hard kick on a man’s groin will disable him temporarily. Kicking and scratching are also helpful gears in their armory.
- Practice the art of deception. Wallet and purse snatchers just want to snatch the valuables and run away. In most cases they resort to violence on resistance. Hence, carry a dummy wallet, keeping all the valuables hidden under clothes.
General Tips For Senior Self Defense
- Seniors should stay away from lonely and dark lit areas.
- Take note of the routes of escape in case of an attack.
- They should carry a police whistle in the keychain and a flashlight if possible.
- Stay away from carrying large amounts of cash. Do not open doors to strangers. Look out through the keyhole first, and if necessary speak through the door or window.
- Visit the ATMs during daytime. And if it becomes necessary to use an ATM in the night, use well lit, crowded areas.
- When under attack try to dodge and move forward or aside to avoid the hits. Don’t let anyone push you against the wall.