“Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?” This quote best describes the feelings of a person who has to say goodbye to his old friends, especially when one of them is his best friend. Saying goodbye was never easy, but it becomes all the more difficult in case of friends. They are only ones, apart from your family members, who understand you the best. They have been with you through thick and thin.
Now, as your friends go away from you, you feel your whole world collapsing. With whom will you talk for hours on the phone, who will be there to listen to your frustrations against your boss, and so on. Remember - “We part, only to meet again!” So, make sure that you say goodbye to your old friends in the best way, so that the joy of meeting again gets doubled. If you don’t know how to do it, make use of the tips given below.
Saying Goodbye to Your Best Friend
- First of all, let the news sink in. Accept the fact that it is not necessary that best friends stay together forever. Goodbyes are the harsh realities of life.
- If your friend is moving out because his dad found a new job or his mum needs to shift, do not end up blaming them. It is possible that your friend is also doing the same, so don’t aggravate the problem.
- If you feel like crying, indulge in it as much as you want. Pain, if nor released in the form of tears, might give way to bitterness or even anger.
- Spend as much time with your friend, as possible, and cherish the moments together. You will remember them when you friend is not there with you.
- Make a card for your friend. Write all your feelings in the card, how much you love him/her, what he/she means to you and the fact that he/she will remain your friend forever.
- Give a nice, thoughtful present to your friend. One of the best gifts is a photo frame, fitted with a picture of both of you together.
- Go for a day-trip together. It will give you pleasant memories for the time when you are not together and also bring you closer.
- Include your friend in your orkut list, messenger list, facebook list, mail address book, and so on (if you have not done so already). This will help you stay in touch, despite the distance.
- Last, but not the least, remember that “distance only makes the heart grow fonder”. Goodbye does not mean that you are losing your friend. He/she will still be there for you. Only the physical distance has increased, but your hearts are as close as ever.