Productivity and personal contentment at the workplace are often associated with the kind of atmosphere prevailing there. This is the place where you are required to put in your optimal effort to create visible results. For this it is extremely important to maintain a friendly and cordial relationship with your team mates and colleagues. This is particularly true if you are in a new office environment amongst new people. Often people get tensed in fresh office settings as they feel that they will have to undergo tough scrutiny from their co-mates. You will be keenly evaluated by the members of the established group and they will judge whether you are interesting to mix with. Read on to get a better idea how to make friends at a new workplace.
Making Friends In A New Office
- It is vital to display usefulness and teamwork at a new workplace as this sets the foundation for a healthy work relationship. Offer your help spontaneously and assist others for difficult projects. A wiling contributor is always liked and appreciated by others and this will also pave the way for a successful career later on in your tenure period.
- Proper communication with colleagues and co-workers is vital to establish a healthy environment at a new office. It is often the lack of voicing your thoughts and opinions that lead to confusions and misunderstandings.
- Often we end up spending more time at the office than even with our own family and friends. Hence, it is an absolute necessity to create an atmosphere that you would enjoy working in. It will be all the more better if you could actually build a strong friendship with some of your colleagues.
- Be clear and precise what you want to convey to your work-mates. It is always better if you don’t share your personal issues and secrets with your team-mates particularly when you are in a new working atmosphere.
- Never be in a haste to establish a friendly relationship with your workplace as this might be tagged as a desperate effort to get noticed. Keep the pace slow and steady and always remember to be cautious of those who try to be overfriendly at the workplace at the very first instant. The key to making a place in a new working environment is by being pleasant and maintain a cordial relationship with everyone and to allow friendship to develop at its own pace.
- Strictly keep away from any office gossip or corporate dirt particularly if you want to set your image as a person of integrity and good morale. Even if someone tries to scoop some inner office information, politely refrain from getting involved in such conversations as this will later give others to question your credibility.
- Good qualities always get appreciated and particularly if you are capable and competent, you will definitely get noticed among others. Understand and value the importance of teamwork and get yourself actively involved in any assignment or new project. However, don’t be too nagging or pushy about it and restrict your help to just sharing your knowledge and expertise.
- Never forget the importance of being polite and courteous to others and do not refrain from owing up to one’s flaws or mistakes. A simple ‘thank you’ or ‘please’ is always appreciated by others and you will have no trouble being the kind of person everyone in your office will enjoy working with.