Micro braids, also called invisible braids, are very tiny braids which are braided from the scalp to a certain point; it is generally left unbraided on the ends. For braiding to the desired length, hair extensions can also be done to extend the hair. Such braids can differ in size and length; in fact they can be fashioned in different ways to the person's choice. You can easily spot the micro braids hairstyle among the African-American women, men and children. Although it is native to the people of that origin, people in the rest of the world have also begun to adore this hairstyle, because it gives them an entirely different look. You can braid your hair and flaunt the style for a long time, say two to three months or even more, if you undertake proper care and maintenance. With the tips given in the following lines, you will know how to maintain micro braid hairstyles.
Micro Braid Hairstyle Tips
Type Of Hair
- Before going about making micro braids all over your hair, it is important to know whether the hairstyle will suit your hair type or not.
- People with brittle hair are not advised to opt for micro braids, since they can be highly damaging to hair if put for a long time. Moreover, your hair might break, when you uncoil the braids.
- Silky hair can sustain micro braids for a considerable time. However, to maintain the braided look for a long time, it is suggested to apply something sticky, such as mousse or hair gel on the hair, before braiding.
- Micro braids look good on straight as well as curly hair, provided your hair is strengthened from its root to tip, with proper care and maintenance.
- To reduce the smallest chance of your hair being damaged due to micro braids, it is very important to ensure that they are healthy enough to sustain the intricate hairstyle.
- Perform hot hair oil massage at home once a week.
- Shampoo your hair and condition them, once in three days.
- Get a haircut that enables you to make the braids easily.
- Make sure that your hair is lengthy enough for the hairstyle. If you have short hair, grow them until mid-length.
How To Make Micro Braids
- Just before braiding your hair, shampoo and condition them. Apply a very little amount of hair gel, if you have lost moisture by washing your hair.
- Detangle your hair, using a wide toothed comb.
- Now, take a small portion of hair, say, two to three inches thick.
- Grip the section of the hair and braid it down until the end.
- Continue doing the above step, until your hair has been braided completely.
- Accessorize your braided hair with colorful beads. This will make your hairstyle look great!
Maintaining Micro Braids
- Have the micro braids removed after a couple of months, so that your hair recovers from the stress of being braided for a long time.
- Make use of a light hair oil to retain the moisture of your hair. Be sure to use the right amount of oil, so that the hair does not feel dry or brittle to touch.
- Do not braid your hair too tightly, because it may cause stress, making your hair brittle and breakage-prone.