“A chignon is an elegant twist on the ponytail and perfect for formal occasions. But it's also an easy and practical choice that works anytime you want to keep hair off your face.”-Dante Pronio. Before you start wondering what a ‘chignon’ is, know that it is another word for a bun. Ever since the 1940s the low bun hairstyles have been considered elegant and stylish. The best part is that they can be worn on almost any occasion like the prom, a regular day at the college, family functions like weddings and even to parties. Even celebrities like Reese Witherspoon and Katherine Zeta Jones would agree if you were to say that low buns bring out the best in you! You can never go wrong when wearing your hair in a low bun because it has a sophisticated and mature look. The biggest advantage of a low bun is that you don’t have to worry that your hair is too curly or straight for this hairstyle. The red carpet is waiting for you! The lines that follow will tell you how you can achieve this look.
Creating A Low Bun Hairstyle
Low bun hairstyles are usually worn when you have medium or long hair. If you have short hair then you could use extensions for the bun. Follow these simple steps to tie your hair in a bun.
- Wash, condition and dry your hair. Blow drying your hair, softens it.
- Take all your hair and tie it into a tight ponytail.
- Make sure the ponytail is as high or low as you want the bun to be.
- Using your right hand, take a considerable amount of the lower part of your hair and slowly rotate it.
- Make the entire ponytail look like a ball. Do this until all the hair is neatly circled.
- Secure the bun with pins, or if it stands by itself, let it be.
Low bun hairstyles can be tied in many different ways to suit the occasion you are dressing up for, and some of those ways are:
- If you are going to the prom, then it’s advisable that you do your hair last, i.e. after putting on clothes and applying makeup. Wear your bun with accessories. Put on some nice clips of different colors to hold it in place.
- If you are getting married, then a soft bun will look perfect as it will show your softer side. With a tiara, a tight low bun works perfectly. Diamonds and sparkly pins will look gorgeous in the hair. Pair them up with some white earrings and you’re ready to be the world’s most beautiful bride!
- Low buns can be worn for all sorts of parties too. You can perm your hair and tie a low loose bun for a messy look. You can even pair it up with a short dress and some funky hair pins to make you look wild!
- When going to college, try not to accessorize too much. Just tie your hair into a loose bun and hold them with some pins so it is out of your face.
Tips To Keep The Bun Intact
- Make sure you NEVER touch your hair at any point.
- If secured with pins, then you could add more pins or move them around carefully. If you haven’t, it’s best you leave it alone. You don’t want your hair falling out of place at a prominent event or at a crucial moment.
- Spray the bun with some strong hair spray at the end so that the gel keeps the bun intact.
- If your hair is silky straight you should perm it a little so that the waves keep the bun in place.
Follow these tips and you will be able to wear your chignon with a smile and win a million hearts!