Stress can be considered as a modern invention. This is not to say that it was absent before, it is only in the last decade, or two that stress seriously threatened to become a disease, if it is not already one. It does not confine itself to a particular age group and sometimes medications are also of little help. To compound this problem further, it is also very difficult to pinpoint. And if due measures are not taken then, it can lead to serious psychological and physical problems. The fast-paced life is one of the major causes of stress in urban areas. The traffic, the work, the food, the colleagues and a host of other factors are a viable reason for stress and when it hits, it hits without any warning. If left uncontrolled, it may result in depression, insomnia, heart problems and varoius other diseases. That is why, stress must be countered and it can be best done by relaxing and calming the body and mind. And there are certain methods through which you can attain calmness of the mind and body. Given below in the article are the various ways in which you can have instant stress relief.
Instant Stress Management
- Carbohydrates are a good way to provide instant stress relief. So, when you are stressed out, eat snacks to give relief to your stressed nerves. Carbohydrates activate the supply of serotonin, which brings a calming effect. The snacks should be high in carbohydrates, low on fats and proteins. The best snacks can be low-fat crackers, pretzels, and also sweets like jellybeans and ice pops.
- Relaxation is the best medicine against stress. Deep breathing is one way to relax as it brings oxygen into the body. Deep breathing also relaxes the muscles and slows down the heartbeat. This helps in calming down the mind. Concentrate on the breathing rhythm and breathe slowly and deeply. Exhale the air slowly through slightly parted lips. Two minutes of deep breathing will calm your mind.
- Anxiety causes the muscles to get tense, which results in headache and backache. So, to counter the stress try relaxing the muscles.
- Brisk walking is also an excellent remedy against stress. Walk for 5 to 15 minutes as it boosts the cardiovascular system and increases your energy. Walking also relaxes the muscles.
- Pleasant aromas improve the mood. Find out which smell gives you a calming effect and the next time you feel stressed, sniff on those aromas. Those smells can make you conjure up past associations and have an especially good effect in relieving stress.
- Crying is another option for instant stress relief. It is one of the most effective and common methods of alleviating stress. When you cry, the tears rid the body of chemicals that builds up during stress.
- Talking is also very good in giving you relief from stress. The main thing is not to keep the cause of your stress inside your mind. When you talk or chat, you can get it out of yourself.
- Body massage and aromatherapy also provide quick relief. Massage the body or head with essential oils like lavender, geranium, bergamot, etc, for a soothing effect. Aromatherapy boosts your mood and uses the sense of smell to reduce your stress.
- Listen to soft soothing music. It relaxes the mind and also makes it easier for your muscles to relax.