Whether you were exploring a rocky terrain, rough road or rolling slope - one thing that remained consistent in all your journeys was your favorite pair of sneakers. Sneakers have become one of the most important components of a person's wardrobe today. Utmost comfortable and easy going, all that a pair of sneaker demands in return is a little care and regular washing. However, most of the owners would agree that washing sneakers is a job that is best left undone. While we all are super-conscious when it comes to neat and clean clothes, most of the times, shoes are given step-sisterly treatment. It is only when they start smelling drastically that shoes are looked upon (mainly because they become an embarrassment in public area). However, did you know that washing sneakers is an extremely easy and simple process? Go through the following lines and check out how to wash sneakers in a washing machine as well as by hand.
Washing Sneakers In Washing Machine
- Shoe Cleaner
- Washing Machine
- For cleaning your sneakers in washing machine, you first need to take out the laces from them.
- Using a cleaner and an old toothbrush, remove tough stains from the sneakers, if any.
- Now, stuff the sneakers in a pillowcase and put them in the washing machine. This is important, as it would not only prevent the sneakers from scuffing, but also reduces the possibility of damage to the drum.
- Set the washing machine on delicate cycle and use cold water for the process. In case you are washing the sneakers alone, adjust the machine for a small load.
- Add about half-cup of detergent to the machine.
- Once washed, allow the sneakers to air dry. This is mainly because the heat of the clothes dryer in the machine might damage the sneakers.
- Make sure you place newspapers into the shoes, while drying, so as to preserve their original shape.
Washing Sneakers By Hand
- Shoe Cleaner
- Paper Towels
- Baking Soda
- Before washing the sneakers, you need to first take out the laces and the inserts from them.
- Now, make a solution of mild soap and water. In case your Sneakers are extremely soiled, get a cleaner that is specifically meant for athletic shoes. However, before buying, check whether or not it is appropriate for all kinds of shoes.
- Using a soft bristle brush and soapy solution/cleaner, clean the sneakers inside out. Rub them well, so as to remove all the dirt. Make sure to clean the sole as well.
- Once the sneakers have been properly scrubbed, keep them aside and switch to cleaning the inserts and the laces.
- Now, using fresh water, rinse off the sneakers, inserts as well as laces. Make sure the entire soap residue is gone.
- Wipe the excess water with paper towels and stuff the shoes with additional paper towels, so as to preserve their original shape. Keep the sneakers in a well ventilated area, to dry.
- After the sneakers have dried, all you need to do is put on the laces and the inserts and sprinkle some baking soda to keep them fresh.
- Congratulations - your sneakers are ready to take on the world again!!