Water soaked ceilings, wall paneling, cardboard, areas of excess moisture and high levels of humidity harbor the growth of different kinds of mold. One of the variants is the black mold, which easily germinates and grows within a period of 24 hours, if all the favorable conditions are provided at your home. Although not all the types of black mold are toxic, getting rid of them is essential, because their growth can result in the development of spores, which spread through dust and contaminate the air. With the instructions given in the article, learn how to treat black mold.
How To Get Rid Of Black Mold
- To fix the problem, you need to identify the source first. Moist areas, with high levels of humidity, promote the growth of mold. Therefore, find the source of moisture. Check for moist walls, any leaks in your water tank, bathroom or basement.
- After you have thoroughly inspected the area and concluded that black mold is thriving at the place, it is the time to start working on the project. To start with, cover the exit points, like doorways, vents and other openings of the room, with heavy plastic sheets. Seal the sheets with duct tape.
- When there is black mold, you will easily spot its spores as well. They are not only harmful for the health when inhaled, but also spread through dust and contaminate the air. Therefore, install an exhaust fan at an outdoor opening, near the 'contaminated room', as to remove the mold spores from the place.
- Clean the visible black mold with the help of a sponge dipped in soap solution. If the moldy area is completely dry, moisten the place a little bit by blotting it with water. This will reduce the spread of spores.
- After the visible black mold is removed, treat the area with a disinfectant. The chemical in the product kills the spores of black mold, instantly.
- Put the black mold and the used sponge into garbage bags.
- Resolve the problem of excess moisture at your home. Keep the basement free of moisture; repair the leaks in water tank. Clean the bathroom daily. Check for seepage in the walls and repair them immediately.
- Install a dehumidifier in the basement of your home, so that the relative humidity remains below 55%.