Mold is the name of a fungus that is mainly found to be thriving in areas that are moist and warm. In fact, the humid weather of monsoons is one of the precursors to the formation of mold. Apart from that, the areas that remain damp, like bathroom, kitchen, etc, are also prone to the formation of mold. Mold not only leads to the ruination of the area which it contaminates, but can also cause allergic reaction in people, if they manage to inhale it by any chance. In case you are looking for some home remedies and tips for cleaning and removing mold, feel free to the use the ones provided in the following lines.
How to Get Rid of Mold
- Since mold thrives in moist conditions, you first need to identify the source of moisture. Look for any leaks, flooding etc and repair them as soon as possible.
- The next step will comprise of sealing the room which has been contaminated by mold. This will ensure that the contamination does not spread to other areas.
- If the room that has been affected by mold seems to be very dry, use some water to dampen it slightly. This will ensure that the molds do not fly away with even a breath of air.
- Thereafter, you will be undertaking the actual task of cleaning the mold. For the purpose, make use of soap and sponge. Clean the entire area thoroughly.
- After the cleaning process is over, it is the time to disinfect the room. Make sure to spray the disinfectant in each and every corner of the room, even in those areas where there was no visible mold.
- Gather all the things that you used for removing mold from your room. Put them in a garbage bag, seal it properly and throw it far away from your home.
- You can use the solution of 1 part chlorine bleach to 4 part water for the purpose of killing mold.
- For cleaning mold in places like bathrooms, you can make use of vinegar and water solution.
- In case of hot and humid weather, make use of air conditioners. It helps in keeping humidity as well as mold at bay.
- If the weather outside is cold and humid, your best option will be making use of a dehumidifier.
- Carpets are one of the places where mold grows very easily. So clean it on a regular basis. You can also try dusting it with baking soda, then leaving it for sometime and finally, vacuuming it properly.