Black molds are a very toxic form of fungi that can cause severe health effects. Check out the symptoms and dangers of black mold.

Black Mold

Molds are basically a type of fungi that multiply very fast at any warm and damp place, even in your home. Not only do they destroy the beauty of the home, but are also toxic and can cause grave health disorders, if allowed to grow unchecked. Black mold is one of the most toxic kinds of molds that can grow and multiply inside your house. Its spores can travel from one place to another through air, just like viruses. If left unchecked, it can cause a whole lot of health problems and also weaken the building foundation.
Health Effects & Dangers of Black Mold
Black mold can cause a number of health problems, if its spores are inhaled. Check out some of the possible complications and dangers that could arise from exposure to black mold. 
  • Body Aches and Fatigue
  • Eye Irritation with Burning, Watery or Red Eyes
  • Food Intolerance and Allergy
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Memory Impairment
  • Mood Swings
  • Nasal and Sinus Congestion
  • Nose and/or Throat Irritation
  • Persistent Coughing
  • Profound Headache
  • Respiratory Problems (Asthma and other Infections)
  • Skin Rashes or Irritation
  • Suppression of Immune System 
Symptoms of Black Mold
Be aware of the symptoms that may indicate the presence of black mold in your home. If black mold is multiplying in your home, it will emit a certain foul odor and cause a feeling of dampness in the atmosphere. Even if you are non-allergic, you may begin to feel and experience allergic reactions, as mentioned above. Check for any kind of mold growth that may appear to be spongy and greenish-black in color. Check for places near the bathroom, kitchen, walls, ceiling corners, under shelves, cabinets, etc.
  • You will first need to identify the source of black mold, which will mainly comprise of moist areas in your house, where the level of humidity is high. In other words, you will have to look for the source of moisture. It may be in the form of moist walls, resulting from leaks in the water tank, bathroom or basement.
  • Once you have ascertained the reason behind the presence of black mold, it is the time to inspect the area and confirm its existence. Thereafter, use heavy plastic sheets to cover all the exit points of the affected area, like doorways, vents and other openings.
  • The spores of black mold serve as the biggest indicator of its presence in your house. They spread through dust and contaminate the air. At the same time, the spores are harmful to the health of the person who inhales them. So, you will need to install an exhaust fan at an outdoor opening, near the 'contaminated room', to remove the mold spores.
  • Dip a sponge in soap solution and clean the visible black mold with it. In case the moldy area is dry, moisten it a bit and then remove the spores. After you have cleaned the entire area, treat it with disinfectant. It will kill the spores almost instantly. Dispose the black mold and the used sponge into the garbage bin.

How to Cite

More from