Braided rugs would retain their beauty and last for a long time only if they are given proper care and maintenance. Since such rugs are quite prone to food spills and pet stains, cleaning them on a regular basis is vital. Moreover, if you leave the rugs unclean for a long time, it will be difficult to remove tough stains from them. Now, you don't want to ruin a beautiful rug just because you are a bit lazy or unaware of the proper cleaning methods; do you? Go through this article and learn more on how to clean a braided rug, using the best methods.
Cleaning Braided Rugs
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Dry Cleaning Solvent
- Spray Bottle
- Soft-bristled Brush
- White Vinegar
- Vacuum-clean the braided rugs first. Make use of curtain or hardwood floor attachment for the purpose.
- Transfer a dry cleaning solvent into a spray bottle. Now, spray the cleaner on the rug. To remove the dirt, work on one segment of the rug at a time, using a soft-bristled brush.
- You may also dip a sponge into the dry cleaning solvent and rub it on the rug. By doing this, the dirt trapped deep in the fabric of the braided rugs, will be removed effectively.
- You may remove the stains using white vinegar. Spray vinegar on the stains and leave it on, for about 10 minutes. Clean the area with a sponge dipped in water. Allow the rug to dry for sometime. Thereafter, vacuum it using curtain or hardwood floor attachment.
- A mixture of ammonia and water can be used to clean a heavily soiled braided rug. Dampen a sponge with the mixture and gently rub it on the soiled areas. This will remove the stains within no time.
- Do not use roller brush to clean the braided rugs, because it can damage the fabric.
- While using a dry cleaning solvent to clean the rugs, make sure that the area is well ventilated.
- Some dyes "bleed" when ammonia is used on the braided rugs. Therefore, it is recommended not to use the chemical on bright colored rugs. In this case, you can test the chemical on a small portion of the rug first. Use it if the color doesn't fade away.
- Clean the braided rugs regularly, either by sweeping or vacuuming them.
- Washable braided rugs can be cleaned in the washing machine as well, in a gentle cycle.
- If only dry cleaning is recommended, you should get the rugs cleaned at least once in a year or every six months.