- Lifestyle Lounge
Tinting cars windows is a very popular method adopted by car owners who want an extra amount of privacy and protection from UV radiations. Different shapes and forms of tint film are available in the market, including flat, reflective, metallic and mirrored. Apart from changing the look of your car significantly, tint films are opted for the very reason that they are inexpensive. Moreover, many installers claim that applying tint on windows prevents the shattering of glasses in case of a crash. It is very easy to tint windows on your own. All you have to do is equip yourself with necessary supplies and follow our expert tips on how to tint windows.
How To Tint Windows
- Window tinting film
- Spray bottles
- Hard plastic card
- Heat gun
- Liquid soap detergent
- 4-inch squeegee
- Bone tool
- Razor blades
- Make a mixture of dishwashing liquid and water and fill it in the spray bottle.
- Remove all the dirt by cleaning the windows with the help of dishwashing liquid-water mixture.
- Start the process by spraying the dishwashing liquid-water mixture on the side windows.
- Allow the area to dry and after that, wash it thoroughly.
- Using razor and squeegee, remove any left-over residue of the mixture on the window surface.
- Measure the size of the windows and cut the tinting film accordingly.
- Start applying the tint. While placing the film, make sure that you leave a gap of about 1/6th of an inch from the top edge, since this space will be covered when the car’s door and window are closed.
- Using the bone tool, gently push the tint beneath the rubberized weather stripping that runs at the bottom of the window.
- Make use of the plastic hard card to secure the tint on all the corners of the window.
- Using heat gun, apply heat from one side at the top of the window to the other. Go about in a horizontal motion so that moisture and air bubbles from underneath the film are removed completely.
- Repeat the above steps for other windows, except the rear windows of the car, where you should not use razor to remove soap scum.
- This is because the rear window is equipped with defrosting wires and use of razor could damage the wires.
- Make sure to tint the rear window by working from bottom-up.