Removing rust stains can become increasingly difficult, if they are not removed the moment you discover them. The older the rust stains, the tougher it becomes to get rid of them. Rust can leave a strong stain on your fabric and might damage it in the process of trying to wash the stain off. Although, there are a lot of commercial rust removers available in the market, it is possible to wash the rust stains clean from your clothing by using some natural products as well. Read the article to know how to remove rust from your clothing, in a safe way.
Rust Stain Removal From Clothes
- Mix equal amounts of Tartar cream and salt with hot water and make a paste. Rub the paste into the rust stain on your fabric and leave it for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, wash it with your normal laundry detergent. If the stain is too large and there is a possibility to wash the clothing in hot water, mix 4 tsp of Tartar cream into a pan of water. Put the stained part of the garment into the pan and boil the liquid.
- Take lemon juice and soak the stained spot in it. You can also sprinkle some salt on the spot and rub it in with lemon juice. Leave it in boiling water for 5 minutes. Now, rinse it. If required, repeat the process.
- Mix white vinegar and salt and make a paste. Apply the paste on the rub stain. Leave it for about 30 minutes and then, rinse it with warm water.
- You can also use rhubarb stalks to remove rust stains. Cut the rhubarb stalks into one inch pieces and put them into some water. Boil the water. Turn off the flame and leave it aside for 15 minutes, allowing it to sit. Now, soak the stained fabric in the mixture for 1 hour or an entire day, depending on the intensity of the stain.
- You can also try the commercial rust removers available in the market, which contain hydrofluoric or oxalic acid. Take care to use the rust remover in a well ventilated area. Follow the instructions carefully and rinse out the rust remover quickly, as letting it remain on your clothing for a long time may ruin the fabric.
- Butter milk can also be applied on the stained area. Rub it on the stained area and let it sit for some time. Rinse off with water and then launder the fabric in the usual way.
- Take your rust stained clothing and place it on several white paper towels. Now, take a lemon and cut it in half. Soak the stain using fresh lemon juice. Keep the fabric out in the sun to dry, while letting the paper towel beneath. The rust stain will disappear with the drying of the fabric. Launder the fabric as usual.
Take care that your fabric is not damaged by boiling water. Boiling water is to be used depending on the type of the fabric.