When it comes to decorating your house, you don’t want to leave any stones unturned, whether it’s buying Van Gogh’s precious paintings or investing in a Italian leather futon, everything is selected with utmost care. The souks are scoured until you are sure there is not a shop left you haven’t visited. However after you’re done with your decoration, do you still feel something is amiss? Well, it may be the personal touch. A house doesn’t become a home just by throwing some precious mantles and furniture in it. It becomes a home when there is a personal touch to everything you do. There is no harm in collecting precious décor; however, you can give a very signature look to your home by adding some personalized homemade stuff.
One great way of adding a personal touch yet keeping it safe without much experimentation is by making homemade wind-chime. Known as “furin” in Japanese and “Feng-ling” in Chinese these soothing sound chimes not only bring good luck to your home but also increase the positive Chi. They relieve one from stress, enhance well-being and expand awareness. You can easily make wind chimes at home without spending lot of money. There are many kinds of wind chimes you can make, however, keep in mind the setting of your home. Here are given steps for some easy and common wind chimes, which will go with almost all the settings.
Homemade Wind Chime
Seashell Wind Chime
- One plastic can lid
- Colorful knitting wool
- Something to make the holes with
- Grab some beautiful seashells either from the seashore or from a store. The size of the seashells depends on the size of the chime you want. However, if you want to hang it, it’s always good to go for smaller ones.
- Now take a piece of wool and cut it according to the preferred size. With the help of a sharp scissors, cut at least six long threads of the yarn. After you have cut it, take the shells and paste it to the yarn with hot glue. Depending on the size of the thread, paste four to five shells to it in the same direction. Leave it overnight to set.
- Now take a paper punch or something with which you can make the holes easily and make six holes in the lid. Now hold the lid with the rim facing up and fix the yarn with the seashells in it. Tie the knot and ta-da your seashell wind chime is ready to be hung.
Terracotta Pot Wind Chime
- Rope or twine
- Terracotta pots
- Acrylic colors
- Decorative items
- Tie the rope in a loop and knot it tightly. You can either simply use the rope to tie or you can attach some decorative items to make your rope look attractive. Now color your terracotta pot with your favorite colors and let them dry.
- You can make two kinds of wind chimes with the terracotta pots. One you place them in ascending order or you can take smaller pots and make wind chimes by decorating it individually.
- For ascending ones, slide the terracotta in the same fashion as in ascending order in the rope towards the knot and after you have slid them, tie the knot so that they don’t slide off. Now you can hang it after you have decorated them.
- For the individual ones, color the pots in different color and make leafy or any other designs on it. Spray a little glitter and let it dry. Now make a hole on the base of terracotta pot and slide a rope in it. Repeat the same process with five other pots.
- Now take a big lid and paint it in the same color as the pots. Drill six holes with equal intervals and one in middle to hang it. Now slide the rope from the terracotta to the lid and tie it firmly. Repeat the process until all the pots are tied. Now you can hang it in your porch and enjoy the sweet music of your wind chime.