A number of us have heard stories about people who struggled and survived on deserted islands and have watched many films and serials on the same. Though it appears to be a thrilling experience, it can be really devastating if it takes place in reality. There are a number of situations wherein you can land up on a deserted island, such as a ship wreck or an air plane crash. Thus, one should always be prepared for the worst to happen in life. Living on a deserted island can be highly challenging and requires immense amount of courage, faith, will power and confidence. To know more on living on a deserted island, read the tips provided below.
How to Live on a Deserted Island
- The first and foremost thing to do is to calm down. This will enable you to think clearly as well as have a better control over the situation.
- The next thing to do is to assess your resources. Check out for things such as a source of fresh water, a long range radio, satellite phone or any other means of communication. Look out for people on the island, which can be your greatest resource.
- If you are in a group, appoint a leader. This will help everyone to stay organized and carry out ideas in an orderly manner.
- After this, try and start a fire. This might seem a trivial task, but it can actually prove to be quite helpful. Fire can be used to distill water, cook food and provide light. However, do not be disheartened if you are not able to achieve it.
- Try to build a shelter, which will serve as your home base and will also provide a warm, shady place to sleep in. You can even store any resources that you may have acquired.
- Another vital activity is to search for water. Remember it is important to find a source of water to survive. Do not pay attention on the quality of water as it can be purified or desalinated.
- If you have discovered a source of fresh water, make sure you boil it for 2-3 minutes before using it.
- You can also try distillation for desalination. It can be done by constructing a solar still or one that works over a fire.
- For this, you require to create steam and condense the same with the help of a piece of metal or glass. Then the condensed water should be allowed to run into another clean container.
- After this, find food. Hunt for lots of edible roots and berries, but be careful as many of them are poisonous. You can even go for fishing, with the help of bugs and a hook. For this carve out a stick into a hook shape and put a barb on it. Tie a piece of string to it and go fishing.
- One of the most important things to do is to make contact. Make big, unnatural looking objects using bright colors and shiny things. Use all possible methods, such as a radio, signal mirrors, fires and flashlights etc, to draw attention and attract rescuers.
- Keep your spirits high and do not be desperate as it can lead you into trouble. Exercise strong willpower as it is the only key to survival.