It is fairly easy to hang a picture on a wall. All you have to do is get a nail and a hammer. Now, find a decent spot to center the picture, hammer the nail into place and finally, hang the picture. The trouble comes when the picture is too heavy to be hung by this procedure. The usual material that is used on the walls tends to break easily and is not at all suitable for hanging heavy pictures on a wall. What to do in such a case? To help you find an answer to this question, we have provided some tips in the following lines. Read them and know the best way to hang a heavy picture frame.
How to Hang a Heavy Picture
- Stud Finder
- Small Nail
- Eight-penny Nail
- Wall Anchor
- Self-tapping Screw Holder
- For hanging a heavy picture on a wall, you first need to find a stud in the wall. For the purpose, you will easily get a stud finder from the local hardware store.
- In case you do not get a stud finder, bang your hand against the wall. There will be discrepancy between the sound of a drywall and a stud.
- Use a small nail to test the area, whether it hits wood or goes straight through drywall.
- In case you are still finding it difficult to locate a stud, move across the room in 1½ inch increments, the usual width of a stud, checking for it.
- After you have found the stud, take an eight-penny or larger nail and hammer it into the former.
- Now, hang the picture.
- If you do not find a stud at the exact point where you want to center the picture, use a wall anchor.
- You will find a wall anchor at the hardware stores. They come in different sizes, depending upon the weight of the thing to be hung.
- Make a small hole in the wall, at the point where you want to hang the picture, and insert the anchor. It is like a butterfly clip and will branch out within the drywall, to hold your nail in place.
- In case neither the stud nor the wall anchor is an option, it is advisable to use a self-tapping screw holder. After you have screwed it into the wall, insert a large screw into the holder.
- Finally, hang the picture.