It is a tough world out there! We have often heard this phrase repeated to us by our parents, guardians or well-wishers. But it is only when we set our foot within the premises of a workplace do we get to understand the intensity and inner meaning of these words. In a place where hundreds of people come together and associate with each other, it is but natural that differences in opinions arise. This often leads to arguments and strained relations which become difficult to handle at times. You may often come across people who are prone to aggressive talks, conflicts and pushiness. This might even drain you off your motive and zeal at times. It is vital to have a good working atmosphere lest the place gets suffocating and overpowering for you. Handling a pushy coworker needs some technique and understanding. Read on to know how exactly to do this.
Tips For Handling Pushy Coworkers
- The key to handling pushy coworkers is to avoid any kind of chatting or gossiping. Avoid trusting anyone who appears to be too friendly offering help for no good reasons. Many a times, people come to talk or offer help with your work. This might actually be an attempt to get information about your work which might be later used against you. So, make it a point to politely but firmly avoiding any personal talks in between office hours.
- Never disclose anything private or personal as you can never know when this might be used against you. It is also advisable not to mingle work with pleasure. This will be beneficial for you as no one will be able to put forward words against you.
- Wise people always keep a tab on their daily conversations and activities. Maintain daily records and document every task performed by you. Today, the computer being a major form of managing records and documents, can easily be sabotaged or duplicated without even your consent. Hence, it is always better to maintain back-up files and reports.
- Draw clear boundaries and never try to follow the ways that you feel is wrong or inappropriate. Some colleagues can get really pushy and try to convince you to do a task a particular way. The simplest way to avoid this is by clearly and politely explaining your view on the situation. You might even receive critical opinions on your work. If so, simply offer your gratitude for the helpful feedback and let the situation go.
- Some people might try to corner you at office by creating tensions and disputes over small situations. The best way to handle this is to avoid such small talks completely. However, if the situation becomes a little too strong, you can in a mild manner express your opinion on the issue.
- Make decisions according to the intensity of the condition. In case, it is getting out of hand and you are finding it difficult to manage, you can take it to the supervisor and ask for maintaining a healthy atmosphere at the workplace.
- You can also change the seat allocation if you are at close proximity with the ‘pushy’ colleague.