Whether it’s a traumatic event, a relationship that ended on a sour note or even a rotten business deal, your past can sometimes be detrimental to your mental health and hamper the brightness of the future. Result - depression and isolation. You must understand that we gain nothing by clinging on the past. It only leaves us in a state of distraught and hysteria. Instead, just take it to be a learning experience and move on to the greener side of life. In the following lines, we have provided effective tips on how to get over the past. Follow them with your heart and see your optimism resurfacing once again.
Getting Over The Past
- Before reading the process of getting over the past, you need to first understand that letting go of the past is not same as forgetting or denying the past. Remember, your past serves as an important guiding light, showing you what can be done and what cannot. Also, it is the traumatic events that make us the person that we eventually become.
- To get over the past, you need to first come out of the denial stage. Carrying the old baggage of sorrow can be extremely depressing and disappointing. There are many people, who, in the first place, do not want to believe that the past is haunting them. They think it to be a myth or a falsification. If you are one amongst them, the first step would be to come out of the denial stage and accept the fact that you need to get over the past.
- Now that you have come in terms with the situation, know that you cannot change the past. Most of us often wish to go back and undo the past. You need to understand that you cannot alter what has already happened. All you can do is change your perception about things i.e. the way you think and feel about them.
- ‘Time is the best healer’. Give yourself time and watch how things just fade off from your life. In this fast-paced lifestyle, almost none of us give our mind and heart any time - result: the rebound which we enter into makes us feel even more distressed.
- ‘Move on’ should be the mantra of your life. Do not feel victimized by your past. Instead of falling prey to self-pity and wailing your days out, learn from the past experience and emerge as a stronger person. This would help you face the future and also add a different shade to your personality.
- People who have been wronged mostly enter the stage wherein they lose self confidence and self-reliance. In case you are also going through an all-time low, divert your mind to your positive qualities. Think of all the good things that you possess. It would make you feel better and come over the ruins of the past easily.
- Did you know that intrapersonal conversation can solve many problems? Talk to your self and listen to your inner voice. Keep telling yourself that you are a strong person and not someone who gets bogged down by painful memories.
- For those who are generally quiet about their feelings and bury them in their heart, getting over the past can be very difficult. You need to give a vent to your feelings and scream your heart out, or else you are sure to be trapped by the monsters of depression. Sharing would lighten the burden of your heart and make you feel light. Who knows, by saying it all out, you might be able to forget the painful past?
- In today’s world, who has the time of examining his own self, with deadlines to meet and targets to achieve? However, it is very important to re-examine yourself once in while. This would help keep a check on yourself and in the process; you would definitely become a better person.
- Lastly, if you do not feel healed by doing all the above steps, head straight to a therapist. It doesn’t harm to get a consultant for yourself. Believe me, hiring a consultant is much better than staying stuck in the past and hurting yourself - physically, mentally and psychologically!! All the best!!