Fruit flies can just come from nowhere, once they find any inviting source in your house. Since they breed on moisture and dirt, they can very soon multiply in numbers and become a big irritation for you. In areas like kitchen, it hardly takes any time for the fruit flies to accumulate. However, only keeping your dwelling spanking clean will not help you against these annoying flies. You will have to take some effective measures to get rid of them, once and for all. Read on to find some useful tips on how to eliminate fruit flies altogether.
How To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies
- Pour some apple cider vinegar in a cup and add just two drops of dish washing liquid in it (excess will dilute the vinegar). Mix these ingredients well, using a spoon. Place the cup in the corner of the countertop to attract the flies, which will be drawn to the cup. Repeat the process on a daily basis, until all the fruit flies get eliminated.
- You can also use a trap to catch those little pests. Take a bowl and put a ripe banana (peel removed) in it. Cover the bowl with a paper and fasten a rubber band around it, to make the surface flat. Now, take a needle and poke many small holes in the paper. Leave the bowl overnight to attract flies. The flies will manage to enter the bowl, but won’t be able to escape.
- Getting rid of the food sources that attract fruit flies is a feasible option to stop their invasion. It is sugar that the fruit flies are after and they can extract any amount of sugar from all organic foods, including fruits, vegetables and liquids. Even fresh flowers can be a source of nectar. So, make sure never to leave such things exposed in the house.
- Take care to discard the overripe fruits or eatables, as they are a major source of attraction for the flies. Also, clean up the basket or bowl that contained the overripe fruits.
- Flush your drains and garbage disposals with ammonia and drain cleaners. You will have to do this at least once every few days. You can also partially plug the drain to fill the sink, in order to allow the cleaners to trickle down slowly and stay present in the pipes for some time.
- Cleaning up the kitchen mess also helps in discouraging the fruit flies, which thrive on exposed foods. Sacks of potatoes and bags of grains and legumes that have turned moist are inviting signals for flies.
- Clean opened containers of fruit juices and fermented or vinegar products, such as ketchup, siracha or cooking wine. Seal them well and store in the refrigerator, if that kind of space is available.
- Keep the seals of your refrigerator door, its surface and handle clean to discourage the fruit flies. If there is any evaporation pan in your fridge, clean it thoroughly.