Drain flies, also known as moth flies, are the insects found mostly in the drains, bathroom and any other places where the water is stagnant for a long time. They lay their eggs in such damp places and multiply in no time. These flies are responsible for a number of dangerous diseases. You should regularly check that you do not have them in your house. In case you find them dwelling within your residence, take immediate steps to get rid of them. In the following lines, we bring you some helpful tips on how to get rid of drain flies in the most effective manner.
Drain Flies Removal
- Locate the floor drains in your house. Put on the rubber gloves and remove the drain covers carefully.
- The drain flies live and breed in the sludge buildup inside the drain pipes. This sludge build up is located just above the water level. Use your flashlight light to find out the sludge build up.
- Once you get to see it, pour some hot water and cleaning solution on it. Now, use the scrub brush to scratch away the sludge.
- Scrub the upper lip of the drain with the cleaning solution as well. Clean the drain covers properly, with enough amounts of hot water and cleaning solution, especially on the underside of the drain.
- Take some boiling water and flush the drain properly with water. You can also use spray bottle to flush the drain, so that even the interior walls of the pipe are cleaned by this process.
- Take some amount of bleach in another spray bottle and pour the bleach on to the drain. You should ensure that the maximum bleach falls on the sides of the pipe as well as on its top lip.
- Once you are done with the spraying of the bleach, pour some of it directly into the drain. The bleach will help kill the flies and at the same, infect the remaining food items in the drain. Finally, close the drains with their cover.
- Make sure that no water is left stagnant behind the refrigerator, in the kitchen or under the dishwasher. Stagnant water becomes the main breeding place of these drain flies.
- Give proper ventilation to any stuffy area. Do not allow water to stand in the bathrooms and other places, where it is regularly used. Avoid moisture to get rid of the drain flies effectively.
- Always ensure that your drains are clean and not clogged. For the purpose, regularly check the working condition of your drains.
- If you find that the flies are already present in a particular place, clean the area properly, using an effective sanitizer. You can coat all your drains with the drain gel at frequent intervals, to eliminate the drain flies completely.
- Apply glue boards around the fly breeding areas. The glue will trap the flies and they will die eventually. You can also spray residual aerosols around the drains and sink, to prevent the breeding of the flies.
- Clean the floor drains regularly, using hot water and bleach. This will prevent the breeding of the drain flies.
- Kitchen and tub drains normally do not get the drains flies, as they are regularly flushed during the time of usage. However, if they are not used for a long time, drain flies may build up in their sludge, which you should clean using hot water and bleach.
- Finally, keep your house and surrounding clean to prevent any drain fly from roaming around.