Most of the drain clogs happen due to accumulation of hair, grease and other organic matter on the interior walls of the plumbing pipes. This accretion can, sooner or later, become blocked and sticky. Eventually, this clump of soap and hair gets wedged and hinders the flow until water starts to back up in the pipes. Unclogging a bathtub drain seems to be a bugging job, but it is actually not. In fact, it is easy if you keep little patience and like this you can also save your money which would have gone into the pockets of plumber. Read on to know how to unclog a bathtub drain.
- At first, check out the clog in a way that if the bathtub has not completely clogged up, you can use easy measure to unclog it.
- Check the drain’s surface. Take out hair, soap pieces or other materials that have accumulated on the top of the drain.
- After removing the visible materials, pour boiling water directly into the drain. Be careful while pouring and don’t splash the hot water.
- Take out the drain cover and clean the under surface of the drain. You can wear a pair of rubber gloves for this job. Here, you can again find hair, soap scum or other particles. Remove them instantly.
- Make use of a wire hanger to clear the deeply inset clogs. Unbend a wire hanger and use the curve to take out or loosen the additional particles.
- Try to make straight the hanger as much as you can, in order that it doesn’t get stuck on any plugging joints in the pipe.
- Make use of a plunger. Pour enough hot water into the bathtub so that the clog gets covered. Thrust with the plunger about 10 times to make sure that you cleared the clog completely.
- Chemical drain cleaners are available in the market but these are harmful to the environment. Prefer not using them. Instead, use baking soda and vinegar to unclog the drain in an eco-friendly manner.
- For this, dispense baking soda (a full bowl) into the drain, and then carefully pour vinegar into it. Leave the drain like this for an hour. Afterwards, wash away the material with boiling water. This will unclog your bathtub drain.