Silly putty, originally called nutty putty, is a silicone plastic that is mainly used for the purpose of making toys for kids. It was created accidentally, when researches were being carried out to find a potential substitute for rubber, to be used by the United States during World War II. Though its creation was an accident, the material is being used for a variety of purposes today. Apart from toys, it finds its use in medical and scientific simulations, along with stress-reduction and physical therapy. However, when the same silly putty ends up in your carpet, spoiling it totally, the only thought that comes into your mind is related to its removal. Keeping this in view, we have provided tips on how to remove silly putty from carpet, in the lines below.
Removing Silly Putty From Carpet
Using Ice Cubes
- Old Towel
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Ice Cubes
- Isolate the area where the putty has soiled the carpet, by draping an old towel around it.
- Take out some ice cubes from the freezer and rub them over the area where you find the putty.
- This will make the putty hard and brittle. Use your nails and fingers to pull it off the carpet.
- Repeat the ice solution a number of times and when you feel that you cannot take out more putty with your hands, make use of tweezers.
- In case you feel that all the putty has not been removed from the carpet, make use of rubbing alcohol for cleaning it further.
- Finally, use fresh and cool water to rinse away any remaining residue. Let the carpet air dry and do not rub it.
Using An Iron
- White Paper Towel
- Carpet Cleaner
- Use your fingers to pull out the silly putty from the carpet, as much as possible.
- Place a white paper towel to cover the silly putty.
- Iron the towel on low-medium heat. Be careful not to use the iron on very high heat as this could melt the carpet.
- Frequently turn to a clean paper towel and iron.
- The silly putty will start coming off on the paper towel. Repeat with clean paper towels, till no more silly putty comes off onto the paper towel.
- Remove the rest of the silly putty using a carpet cleaner.
Using Peanut Butter
- Place some peanut butter on the silly putty and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- The oils from the peanut butter will loosen the silly putty.
- Gently rub the silly putty off the carpet. The carpet will look stainless as though the stain wasn't there.