Streak can be defined as a slice of meat, which comprises, more often than not, of beef. In most of the cases, streaks are cut perpendicular to the muscle fibers, which results in enhancement of the perceived tenderness of the meat. Talking about North America, the steak eaten there is usually grilled. However, its pan-fried version is also quite popular. In case of grilling or pan-frying, if you are not an expert, you might end up with uncooked center, combined with overcooked and tough outsides. This is the reason why braised steak is gaining popularity with the masses. It is relatively easy to cook at home and usually ends up uniformly tender after cooking. In case you are looking for information on how to braise steak, make use of the easy recipe provided below.
Braised Steak and Onions Recipe
- 2/3 cup Plain Flour
- 1kg Blade Steak, cut into 1.5cm thick slices
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Brown Onions, thinly sliced
- 410 gm Beef Consommé Soup
- Carrot and Parsnip Mash, for garnish
- Take a plate and put 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper in it. Mix them thoroughly.
- Take each piece of steak and coat it in the flour, which has just been seasoned.
- Put oil in a non-stick frying pan and place it over medium-high heat
- After the oil gets hot, cook steak pieces in it, in batches, for 3 minutes each side or until browned.
- Take out the steak pieces and place in a separate plate.
- Add onions to the pan and, stirring continuously, cook them for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Now, sprinkle remaining, 2 tbsp flour over onions. Stir well.
- Slowly add consommé, stirring continuously.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Take an oven-safe dish and place the steak pieces in it. Pour the onion mixture on top.
- Cover the dish and bake, for 2 hours or until steak is tender.
- Garnish with carrot and parsnip mash.