While majority of the people around the world are concerned about losing weight, there is a small percentage of people who wish to gain weight also. Surprised, aren't you? In case you are wondering why thin people need to gain weight, allow me to tell you that underweight people are also prone to a number of ailments. One of the main side-effects of being thin is a weaker immune system, which makes such people susceptible to infections and surgical complications. Thin people also have slower recovery from illnesses. In this article, we will help you learn how to gain weight the healthy way.
Healthy Ways To Gain Weight Fast
- The first that you need to do, in order to gain weight, is to have a balanced diet. The right balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and the right kinds of fat (like unsaturated & monounsaturated fats, olive oil, canola oil, pistachios, almonds and walnuts) is very necessary. Try to maintain the ratio of 60-70% carbohydrates, 10-15% protein and a small amount of fat in your diet.
- You do not need to eat food items that are high in fat or sugar. Rather, concentrate on foods that contain higher amount of calories, vitamins, and minerals. Remember, you have to increase the muscles in your body, not the fat.
- Make sure that you eat full three meals in a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Neither of the meal should be skipped and all of them need to be nutritious and packed with calories.
- Apart from the three main meals, you also need to take three snacks in a day. Mid-morning, mid-afternoon and evening comprise of the time when you should have your snacks. They will keep your body fuelled at all times. Nuts, dried fruits and flavored yogurt are good options.
- Try to make the usual meal more nutritious and full of calories. For example, you can add ground chicken in soups and gravies, cheese in casseroles, nonfat dried milk in soups, shakes and milk, etc.
- Half-hour before and after a meal, completely avoid drinking any type of beverages. This is because too much liquid intake, just before a meal, can make you feel full and reduce your appetite.
- Always go for mixed fruit juice, such as peach/orange/banana, orange/pomegranate or apple/berry, than that of a single fruit. Mixed fruit juice contains more calories than the latter.
- It has been seen that having a small amount of alcohol, for instance 4 ounces of wine, 6 ounces of beer or a half-ounce of liquor with juice, before a meal can help stimulate appetite. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor beforehand and never indulge in too much alcohol.
- Though intake of too much fat is not good for healthy weight gain, you should definitely add good fat sources to your diet, in the form of nuts, avocado, olives, and fatty fish (salmon and mackerel).
- Include lots of protein in your diet, in the form of tuna fish (and other seafood), chicken breast, turkey, lean meats, fruits and vegetables. It will help you gain muscle mass.
- Indulge in weightlifting. Join a gym straight away and start lifting weights. It is one of best ways to gain weight in a healthy way. However, make sure that you get training from a qualified instructor.
- Drink lots of milk, if possible the non-fat type. It contains a lot of proteins and also provides you with numerous other essential nutrients.
- Stay away from non-calorie foods and drinks. Things like diet soda and plain coffee or tea should not form a part of your regular diet. Rather, you need to concentrate on food items with healthy calories, such as skin milk, 100 percent fruit juice and sports drinks.
- Include at least one starchy food item, such as potato, rice, pasta, bread and cereal, in every meal. At the same time, make sure that you consume fruits and vegetables as well as a protein source, as a part of meals.