Many-a-times, we see people who have the good fortune of not gaining weight. They are thin and whatever they might eat, fat seems to remain miles away from them. How we wish we could be like them! Wait a sec. Being thin is as bad for health as being fat. Extremely lean people tend to have weaker immune system, low muscle mass and even less than healthy body. Women, who are very thin, tend to have problems in menstruating as well as conceiving. In short, either of the extremes is bad for health. If you are one of those who are desperately looking for a healthy diet to gain wait, we have the solution for you.
How to Gain Weight the Healthy Way
- First of all, a balanced diet is essential for gaining weight the healthy way. Junk foods like pizza, burgers and sandwiches won’t get you anywhere. Make sure that your meals have the right proportion of proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
- Do not drink beverages atleast half-hour before and after a meal. They make you feel full, with the result that you eat less food than what you otherwise would have had.
- Drink lots of juices, especially of those fruits that have high calorie content. You can also have mixed fruit juice to have a higher calorie intake.
- Drinking a small amount of alcohol (4 ounces of wine, 6 ounces of beer, or a half-ounce of whisky with juice) before having a meal. It will help stimulate your appetite. At the same time, make sure that you do not end up getting drunk.
- Have atleast three servings of vegetables on a daily basis. Your diet should also be rich in proteins. For that, you can have foods like fish, low fat meat and chicken.
- If possible, try to have a nutritious snack half-hour before going to bed. It will be beneficial to you health.
- In case you stomach gets full with small amount of food only, make sure you have foods that are rich in calories. You can also have small portions of different foods, rather than large portions of a single one.
- In-between the three meals of the day, try to have snacks like nuts, dry fruits, fruits, etc. Make sure that the snacks are high in calories and nutritious too.
- Make sure to consume the right kind of fats. It is recommended to have a mixture of unsaturated and monounsaturated fats in food. For this, you can eat items like olive oil, canola oil, pistachios, almonds and walnuts.
- There are a number of exercises that help you gain weight. Exercises like ‘lifting weights’ especially help increase the muscle size. However, the exercises should be done under the instructions of a qualified trainer.
- There is no need to have food items that have proportion of fat or sugar. Instead, you should consume those foods that are rich in calories, vitamins, and minerals.
- Try to incorporate nutritious foods in your regular diet. For example, you can add eggs to your breakfast, vegetable soup to your dinner, etc.
- You can add fatty food items like nuts, avocado and olives to your diet. Remember, moderation is the key here.
- You can also include multivitamin and mineral supplements in your diet. This will make sure that you get all the vitamins and minerals in sufficient quantities.
- You should drink milk in adequate quantity. It is one of the healthiest foods for an individual.