Forget breakfast, the pace of life nowadays makes one even skip the lunch or in its stead grab whatever comes on hand. And these are most often junk food as they do not require much time to prepare. So, take a look at the people around us. The picture is the same. Twenty something’s with balding hair and a pot belly is the common feature. And obesity is on the rise. Still there are some other things that cannot be noticed with the eye. Like incidences of diabetes and heart attack are on the rise among the young. This is the direct consequence of unhealthy eating habits. Even when we eat, we don’t eat right and the lunch is perhaps the best example. How many times have you grabbed a quick sandwich with dripping high-fat mayonnaise or had to make do with a packet of chips without realizing the harm it can do you. Isn’t a whole grain bread and a couple of boiled eggs better and it doesn’t take much time either. But since lunch is the second most important meal of the day, it must be taken and eaten seriously. To help you develop a healthy lunch plan read the article below for some healthy lunch ideas.
Healthy Lunch Recipes
- To stay away from bagels and other junk during lunch grab some hard-boil eggs and bran muffins.
- Try to make your lunch at least two to three days a week.
- Have sandwiches with whole grain breads, lean meats and lots of raw vegetables.
- Even a bowl of soup is better than junk.
- If you feel like munching something and snacks come to mind then grab some nuts instead.
- Instead of an ice cream, desserts go for low fat yogurt.
- Include plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Skip soft drinks and have water instead or plenty of juice.
- Fish is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids so, have fish three times a week. You can also get omega-3 fatty acids from flax seed oil.
- In restaurants go for salads or grilled chicken.
- Instead of fried chips go for baked whole grain chips. And dip in vegetable dips.
- Smoked and cold meats are great for lunch.
- Add plenty of dry fruits in your lunch diet.
Healthy Lunch Recipes
Artichoke & Ripe Olive Tuna Salad
- 1 12-ounce can chunk light Tuna, drained and flaked.
- 1 cup chopped canned Artichoke hearts.
- 1/2 cup chopped Olives
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh Oregano
- Mix together tuna, artichokes, olives, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and oregano in a salad bowl.
- Toss and serve.
Smoked Chicken Sandwich
- ½ (8-ounce) loaves Sourdough Bread.
- ¼ tablespoon Vinegar.
- 2 tablespoon chopped Parsley.
- 1/8 cup low-fat Mayonnaise or fat-free Salad dressing.
- ¼ cup chopped Bell Peppers.
- ½ small Onion thinly sliced.
- ½ medium sized Tomato sliced.
- 8 (1-ounce) slices low-fat Mozzarella Cheese.
- 2 cloves minced Garlic.
- 8 (1-ounce) slices lean Chicken (smoked)
- 1 tsp black Pepper.
- Slice the bread horizontally.
- Mix the vinegar and mayonnaise together.
- To this mixture, add parsley, bell peppers, black peppers, and garlic and mix properly. Allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Layer one slice of the bread with four slices of chicken.
- Top it off with a layer of cheese, onions, and tomato.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture and then close with the other slice.
- Cut into three wedges before serving.
- 3 pounds firm baking Apples.
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Peel and then slice the apples into ¼ inch cubes.
- Place the apples in a slow cooker.
- Toss the apple cubes in sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook until the apples are tender.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Take in a bowl and cool slightly.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.