Do you wake up in the middle of the night, suddenly disturbed, by your partner snoring away to glory? Well you can take consolation in the sheer number of people who snore and the proportionate number of victims like you. When you wake up in the middle of the night there are probably thousands like you who would also be staring at their partners in desperation and irritation. Ask them in the morning of their late night bellows and you would probably get a look that says that it was you and not they who were soaring. Though no statistics are available it can safely be said that in every house there may exist at least one snorer. Snoring can range from the mild to the vigorous and it is those overbearing snorers that you should take special precaution. Ill fated is the person who is destined to sleep in the same room, forget the same bed. It’s like sleeping with a thundering train blowing past. Any other torture is perhaps still bearable. Read the article below for some tips on preventing snoring.
Tips On Preventing Snoring
- While sleeping, keep the head elevated by sleeping on a thick or a couple of pillows. Make sure that the pillows are firm and not soft.
- Do not drink alcohol, or take sleeping pills, tranquilizers or antihistamine before sleeping as these things relaxe the muscles which limits the to and fro movement of the air from the lungs.
- Do not take any milk products like yogurt, cheese, milk and ice cream before going to bed. The dairy products build up the mucus in the throat which hinders the movement of air through the throat.
- Excess weight also leads to snoring. So, lose weight as much as you can to control snoring.
- As against sleeping on the back, sleeping on your side helps in keeping the airways open. This will prevent you from snoring. A remedy to prevent you from sleeping on your back, as some people suggest, is to put a tennis ball in the back of your top. This will give you discomfort when you lie on your back.
- Before sleeping take a spoonful of honey.
- Be punctual in your sleeping time. That is, go to bed near about the same time every night.
- Do not take a big meal before you sleep. A full stomach pressurizes the diaphragm and this constricts the breathing air ways. Also, avoid food with high starch content and fatty and fried food. You should also stay away from foods like pizza, chocolate, cakes and cookies before you sleep in order to control snoring.
- Before sleeping keep the throat well lubricated by inhaling steam. You can also sleep in a room that has a humidifier.
- If nothing works then you can go for anti-snoring pills or nasal spray that efficiently reduces the snoring. You can also buy nasal strips that when kept into place keeps the air ways open.
- Weakness in the throat muscles that causes the throat to close during sleep.
- Tension in the jaw muscles which results in a mispositioned jaw.
- Fat deposits around the throat area.
- Blockage of nasal passage.
- Vibrations caused by the tissues of the throat touching each other.
- Usage of alcohol, drugs and cigarettes.
- The tongue dropping on the back of the mouth because of sleeping on one’s back.