The stalks of the garlic plant are referred to as garlic scapes and they are used to make a variety of recipes. It is the juicy flavor of garlic scapes which makes them edible. Earlier, it was only asparagus, which was grown in the backyards as a culinary addition, but garlic scapes gained popularity over time for their fresh look and flavor. Chopped in small sections, they make for a tasty addition to any recipe, as they induce a mild aroma in the dish. Garlic scapes can also be combined with different other food recipes, to make delightful dishes that are nothing less than scrumptious. Read on to find some delectable and easy to make garlic scape recipes.
How To Make Garlic Scape
Sautéed Garlic Scapes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 8 oz Garlic Scapes (trimmed)
- 1 1/2 cups Tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
- 3/4 cup White Wine (dry)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Grilled Haloumi Cheese (diced)
- Heat oil in a pan for some time and put sugar in the heated oil.
- Stir the sugar for 2-3 minutes, in order to caramelize it. Add the scapes to the caramelized sugar.
- Cover the pan and sauté over medium heat, for about 3 minutes. Take care to shake the pan in between, to avoid scorching.
- Add tomatoes and wine after the garlic scapes have been sautéed for 3 minutes.
- Stir and bring the heat to low. Cover the pan and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the scrapes become tender. Take care not to overcook them, or they will become very soft.
- Season the scapes and then, add parsley and Haloumi cheese.
- Serve the scapes warm or at room temperature, as you please.
Lemon Scented Pasta With Garlic Scape & Vegetables
- 5-6 Garlic Scape (thinly sliced)
- 5-6 Sun Dried Tomatoes (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1/3 pack Spaghetti
- 3/4 cup Fresh Corns
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Flat-leaved Parsley
- The first step is to cook spaghetti, following the instructions mentioned on the pack. Set the spaghetti aside, after it has been cooked.
- Place a cooking pan on heat and sauté the garlic scape, halved tomatoes, corns, parsley, zest of lemon and lemon juice together.
- Let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes and then turn the heat up. Take care that the mixture does not scorch.
- Now, add the cooked spaghetti and chicken stock to the mixture. Toss the mixture, until it is well assimilated and the sauce becomes thick.
- Garnish the dish with chopped parsley. Your delectable, lemon-scented pasta, with garlic scape & vegetables, is ready to be served.