Beans are an excellent source of protein. Grown throughout the world, beans, both fresh and dried are patronized by all the countries of the world. Hard to believe that beans were once considered as poor man’s food! Due to their extensive use in various cultures, beans gave rise to many different types of cooking, from simple boiling to its use in soups, salads, and meat. Dried beans can be stored for months, retaining their nutrition and are definitely better and tastier than canned beans. Before cooking, the beans must be soaked in water for at least four hours to soften and release the toxins. The beans can also be boiled for five to ten minutes before soaking. Or if you have time, you can cook the beans in a low flame for at least three to four hours, to tenderize the beans. Below are a few dried bean recipes that can be cooked in a jiffy.
Dry Beans Recipes
Dry Beans Curry
- Butter beans - 500 grams
- Onion - 1 large
- Chili powder - ½ tsp
- Black mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Ground cumin - 2 tsp
- Crushed garlic - 2 tsp
- Oil - ¼ cup
- Garam masala -1 tsp
- Green peppers – 1 small.
- Spring onions – finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and then add mustard seeds. The oil should be hot enough to make the mustard seeds pop.
- Slice the onion and fry till golden brown. Add the chili powder, turmeric, cumin and garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- Add butter beans and stir. Mix well and cook for ten minutes in low flame.
- Add three tablespoons of water and cook until the beans are tender.
- Add garam masala, green peppers, and finely chopped spring onions before serving.
French Beans With Dry Coconuts
- French beans – 250 gms
- Dry coconut – 4-5 tbsp
- Coriander seeds/ powder – 2 tbsp
- Dried red chilies – 4-5 nos
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard seeds – tbsp
- A variety of vegetables chopped into fine pieces.
- Finely chop and string the beans.
- Grate the coconut and mix with chilies and coriander to form a powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves and chopped vegetables.
- After five minutes, add salt and a cup of water. Cook in low flame until done.
- Now add the coconut powder to the curry.
- Now add three tablespoons of water and stir till the water evaporates.
- Serve with hot rice.
Southwestern Black Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup light ranch dressing
- 1 large tomato, cut into bite-size wedges
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped or cut into strips
- 1 shallot, chopped, OR 4 green onions (including stem), sliced
- 1 package (5-ounces) salad greens
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, regular or reduced fat, coarsely shredded
- Black pepper, to taste
- Except cheese and black pepper, mix all the ingredients with ranch dressing in a salad bowl.
- After tossing the salad, top it with shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle the pepper evenly (or according to taste).