Although natural and organic foods appear similar in shape, size and color, there are certain factors that differentiate the two. One of the main differences is the way each of them is produced. Apart from this, organic foods vary from their conventional counterparts in terms of their quality, which is certified by designated organizations. Find out more about the basic differences between natural foods and organic foods in the following lines.
Distinguishing Between Natural And Organic Food
- It shall be remembered that all organic foods are natural, but not all natural foods are organic.
- Natural foods are directly derived from plants and animals, without being chemically processed. On the other hand, organic means are used to produce, manufacture and handle foods labeled "organic".
- Natural foods do not contain ingredients such as refined sugars, refined flours, milled grains, hydrogenated oils, sweeteners, food colors or artificial flavorings. On the contrary, organic foods are processed using renewable sources.
- Certification bodies monitor the organic foods, by visiting the farm or plant where they are processed, to ensure that they are produced according to the production standards set by them. On the other hand, natural foods do not have any certifying body.
- Organic foods carry labels, which differentiate them from others. Legal implications are related to the labeling of organic foods, whereas there are not strict rules for labeling the natural foods.
- Natural foods are treated with pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers, when they are grown in farms. On the contrary, only manure is added to grow organic foods.
- Organic foods are regarded as superior to their conventional counterparts, in terms of quality. This gives rise to a significant difference in their prices. Organic foods are a bit pricier than natural foods.
- The shelf life of organic foods is higher than conventional foods. This is because the latter are minimally or not processed at all, which increases their water content, thereby making them grow moldy within few days.