If you are undergoing a spell of diarrhea, resort to the traditionally proven remedy of BRAT diet for relief. In fact, why just diarrhea? BRAT diet is known to soothe a number of other gastrointestinal ailments as well, like dyspepsia, gastroenteritis and nausea. BRAT basically is the mnemonic acronym that stands for four food items - Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast, which are considered beneficial for gastrointestinal ailments. Characteristically, the BRAT diet comprises of food items that are comparatively quite bland in taste, easy to digest and have less of fiber and residue in them. Foods that are low in fiber are suggested to be included in the diet of people suffering from diarrhea because high fiber foods cause gas and thus, result in worsening the ailment. BRAT diet can also include added protein supplements like tofu or protein pills. Let us know more about this diet.
Brat Diet Plan for Diarrhea
The standard BRAT diet includes Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. But there are also other alternative food items that can be suggested in a BRAT diet for a person suffering from diarrhea. These include:
- BRAT diet comprising Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Tea and Toast
- BRAT diet consisting of Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, Tea and Yogurt.
How To Take/ Introduce BRAT Diet
- Begin by drinking clear liquids, like water, ginger ale, broth, caffeine-free soda or maybe even a sports drink, mixed with water. Drink about 10 glasses of water a day, to avoid dehydration.
- Remember to drink in small sips, rather than in big gulps, as there will then be more chances of the drink staying down.
- When you have reached a stage where liquids are well tolerated i.e. not getting vomited out, gradually begin adding the BRAT foods to your diet.
- Bananas are considered to be constipating, which is good for diarrhea. The amylase-resistant starch in the bananas helps to reduce the onset of peptic ulcers and non-ulcer dyspepsia.
- Include rice in your diet, as it supports oral re-hydration and decreases stool volume, since it is anti-secretary in nature.
- Have apples as well, in the form of applesauce. Since applesauce is of creamy consistency, it goes down easily and soothes the dry throat.
- Apply a bit of jelly on the toast and have it to gain strength.
- In case toast and rice does not stay down, you can opt for resting the stomach completely for some hours.
- You can add Oral Re-hydration Solution or Pedialyte to your diet, as it replenishes salts and electrolytes of the body lost due to diarrhea.
- You can also include crackers, cooked cereals, pasta, rice and vegetable or fruit juice in your BRAT diet.
- In case, the liquids still continue to encourage vomiting, better check with a doctor immediately. You need to be extra cautious in case of kids.
- Even after your symptoms have subsided, avoid raw vegetables, milk, cheese, coffee and fried or fatty foods for a week.
- Avoid soft drinks, apple juice, prune juice, alcohol, fatty foods, pre-sweetened cereals, grapes and avocado based dips, while taking a BRAT diet.