Growing flowers requires passion for plants and patience to treat them. There are many who love flowers and would love to have a rose flower plant at their homes. However, it requires you to spend enough amount of time with them in order to make sure that they grow beautifully and remain healthy. Many rose plants are susceptible to deadly fungal infections; the most common one being black spots on roses. This usually affects roses in warm weather, around spring or summer months and if left unchecked, it spreads very fast and virtually kills the plant.
The main symptom that will tell you if a rose plant is suffering from black spots is the physical appearance of the infection. Notice the healthy green leaves carefully. Even a few of them appear to have small circular black spots with a bright yellow surrounding; it means the plant is affected by the fungal infection. Eventually, all leaves start to turn yellow in color and fall off the plant. In case preventive action is not taken, the foliage is affected badly and it appears very unattractive with reduction in number, quality and the size of the flowers that bloom. Check out information on treating black spots on roses.
How to Get Rid of Black Spot on Roses
- Take care while watering the plant. Don’t pour water from a height, since water splashes upwards and infects the leaves. Pour water gently near the soil bed.
- Make it a point to water the plant early morning, so that there is enough time for the plant to dry off during the day.
- Pick up fallen leaves near the plant and trim out any other diseased leaf or stem. Keep pruning roses in order to cut off the infection totally and promote healthier growth.
- To get rid off or at least lessen the infection, it is recommended to spray a solution of 1 spoon baking soda and 1 qt. warm water over the plant early morning. Your roses will start looking better very soon.
- Dust some sulphur powder on the roses and the leaves to stop the infection from spreading.
- There are chemical pesticides available in the stores that are made exclusively for getting rid off the infection. Use the less toxic one first and make sure you are fully protected.