Owning a small backyard is like a blessing in disguise. While most homeowners long for big backyards with acres of grass and beautifully landscaped areas, the end picture of a big backyard is far from being appealing, after the entire landscaping has been done. From searching through various designs in the magazines to looking for patterns in the net, people spend tons of money, without little or no result. However, when it comes to a small yard, there is a lot that you can do by making an illusion of sufficient space available. Moreover, it is less time consuming and gives you enough time to enjoy your leisure time. A little focus on tiny details is all that is required to make a big difference in the overall setting of the backyard. Remember that simplicity is the primary key when designing a small backyard. Read on further to find different ideas for small backyard landscaping.
Ideas For Landscaping A Small Backyard
- The first and foremost step before you design your small backyard calls for visualizing your backyard and devising a landscape design plan. You can refer various magazines for your help.
- The ideas that you have visualized for your backyard should be such that they enhance the look of the space, without you spending much time on it. These factors include the total time you have to design the backyard, the kind of weather that exists in your area and the ideas you have chosen for your small backyard landscaping.
- To give an illusion of spaciousness, create a small pathway by layering pavers or tiles in a diagonal manner. This will give your backyard an interesting flooring pattern.
- A small seating arrangement is necessary in a backyard that allows you to relax and rejuvenate yourself. String up a hammock if space permits. Instead of going for the usual tables and chairs, have a swing, seats created out of retained walls or a small rock garden. For a more unique seating arrangement, lay a neat bed sheet and throw some colorful cushions.
- Plant trees in the corner of the garden and surround them with smaller shrubs if you have enough space in your backyard. Plant more flower beds around the shrubs and throughout the garden to highlight the entire setting.
- In case you have a patio, hang different plants at different levels to create a great visual appeal. Instead of those traditional mundane terracotta pots, go for stainless steel or ceramic pots to further enhance the beauty of the backyard. Also, give a try to different container shapes like long rectangular or round containers.
- The backyard should create the illusion of space and hence, should not be stuffed with too many plants or furniture. Have a small patch of mowed grass that will soothe your senses, apart from creating a visually appealing appearance.
- Water is an essential feature in any backyard landscaping design. A perfect finishing touch to a backyard, water helps in calming the mind and soothing the senses.
- While the day can be managed with the natural sunlight, evenings should be taken care of by adding the right kind of luminosity. Attach dim lights on the walls to give the right effect to the backyard as against those very bright colored lights.
- Finally, add a variety of knick-knacks such as small figurines, wind chimes and other decorative pieces to add to the overall graceful and pleasant appeal.