Giving birth to a child is the greatest joy for a woman. A child makes a family complete, bringing the couple closer to each other. However, the early years of a kid seem to pass very quickly and before you know it, it is the time to send him to his first class in kindergarten. If you haven't prepared your child for joining school, it will be very difficult for you to make him leave you on the first day and attend the class. Thus, it is necessary for parents to take certain steps to ensure that their kid is ready to start his new chapter in life. Read on to know how to prepare your child for kindergarten.
Preparing Your Preschooler For Kindergarten
- It is necessary to be equipped with certain information about the school beforehand. Make sure you know what academic expectations they have from the kids about to join their kindergarten classes. Being aware of the same will help you decide whether the school suits your personal expectations and make your child acquire the expected skills.
- Take your preschooler on a trip to the school. This will help him become familiar with the surroundings that he is bound to encounter in the near future, making the transition smoother. He will be able to visualize the school as a place that is not to be scared of. If possible, make him interact with his teacher also, even if for a few minutes.
- In the days preceding the start of his kindergarten, talk to him about the school often. Make him know that he will be going there soon and how good an experience it will be for him. Let him ask questions and try to remove all the fears that he might have, against the school. Get him excited about the activities that he will doing in the class, like learning, reading, playing with other kids, etc.
- One of the most difficult parts of preparing your child for kindergarten is to make him ready for the separation from his family, especially the mother. Make him understand that he will be in the school for a few hours only, after which he will come back home. Try to get him thrilled about meeting new kids and making more friends.
- Get a list of all the things that your child will need when he goes to school. After you have listed each and every thing that will be required, it is the time to shop for the stuff. At this point, make sure to involve your child. For example, if he will be requiring certain amount of pencils, take him to the stationery shop and allow him to pick the pencils of his choice.
- One of the few things that a kid needs to know when he starts his kindergarten is his full name. He should be able to say, spell as well as write his name. At the same time, he should be aware of the names of his parents. For the purpose, you should make him practice every day, by even making a game out of it.
- Preparing your child for kindergarten will also require you to make him aware of the entire alphabet, colors, shapes and counting. At the same time, he should be able to know the difference between upper and lower case letters and write the numbers. You may also teach him a little about reading. All the while, remember to let him work at his own pace and not be too demanding.