Misbehavior by children is a common problem citied by parents. Almost all the parents are worried because of their child's misbehavior. They are often clueless of the reason for this misconduct by their child and often end up scolding him/her. However, punishing or admonishing a child would not correct his misbehavior. Parents need to understand why their children behave badly and take steps to remove the problem. A child may be wrong at his/her end, but there must be definitely some cause which instigates the child for irrational behavior. You need to find them out and give them due attention. Listed are some causes of misbehavior in children.
Reasons Why Children Misbehave
- Children misbehave to get attention. It is frequently noticed that when children feel a lack of attention, they get themselves noticed by their parents, by resorting to misbehavior.
- Children misbehave when they feel inadequate or suffer from a lack of confidence, especially when they are asked to do something new. Children are too scared to try it out and hence, may misbehave to avoid doing the task.
- Children misbehave when they do not feel well. Healthy food, sound sleep and fresh air are the necessities for the children and when they lack even a single one of them, they end up misbehaving.
- Children misbehave when they are upset. When a child is upset and does not know how to give vent to his/her feelings, he/she often starts misbehaving.
- Children misbehave when they are disappointed. Sometimes, children get irritated and frustrated when things do not happen as per their wished. It is during these times that they usually misbehave.
- Children misbehave when they are discouraged. It is often noted that children are pointed out when they do something wrong, but are not patted on the back when they do something right. This brings in a lot of discouragement in their mindset, which results in misbehavior.
- Children misbehave when they feel unloved. A loving relationship between the parent and the child is very essential, which when not there makes the child behave badly.
- Children misbehave when they imitate parents. It is mostly noted that children see their parents as their role model. A bad behavior by parents is likely to be imitated by the child, resulting in misbehavior.
- Children test their parent's discipline. To check that their parents truly mean what they say, sometimes children misbehave. They check if their parent's would enforce a rule or not.
- Children misbehave when they want to assert their independence. Almost all the children hate being called a 'child'. To assert their independence, they often end up misbehaving.