Though you may take utmost care of your jewelry but with passage of time it does accumulate dirt. Especially the jewelry with intricate designs need proper cleaning from time to time as grime can accumulate in the tiny nook and corners. Many people also accidently let their jewelry wallow in dirt. Imagine if you spill some wine or gravy or ketchup on your diamond studded necklace or bracelets then simply rubbing them with a tissue won’t clean it. And if you don’t clean the jewelry with a special cleaner then the tiny specks of grease will start eating into the item. After all no one would like the glow and dazzle of their jewelry to be diminished by lack of cleaning. But jewelry is not like dishes which can be cleaned with a simple cleaning solution. Cleaning a jewelry requires special care and procedure or else you might end up tarnishing the piece. Given below are a few jewelry cleaning recipes that will help you to bring the sparkle back into your precious ornaments without any damage.
Homemade Jewelry Cleaner Recipes
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Dish Washing Detergent
- 1 cup Water
- 1 piece Aluminum Foil
- Take a cereal bowl and cut a piece of aluminum foil that roughly fits the bottom of the bowl. Then place the foil in the bottom of the bowl.
- In a microwave or a sauce pan heat the water for two minutes. Pour the water into the bowl.
- Add the soda, salt and dish washing liquid into the bowl. Then place the jewelry on top of the bowl and leave it for 10 minutes. After that rinse the jewelry in cool water and dry them with a soft cloth.
- This recipe is excellent for cleaning sterling silver, brass and gold filled jewelry.
- 2 tbsp mild Shampoo
- 1 cup warm Water
- Mix the shampoo and warm water in a bowl and put the jewelry in it. Leave the jewelry to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- After the dirt and grit has been loosened by the water and shampoo gently scrub the jewelry with a soft brush. If the jewelry has intricate designs then you can also use a cotton bud to clean the crevices where the brush can’t go.
- After that run the jewelry in water and wipe them dry.
- This recipe works best for cleaning gold jewelry.
- 2 tbsp Ammonia
- 1 cup warm Water
- 1 tbsp mild Detergent
- Take the cup of warm water, add the ammonia and mild detergent and mix. Put the jewelry into the cup and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then gently scrub with a toothbrush and rinse in normal water. Wipe the jewelry dry with a tissue or clean cloth after scrubbing.
- 2 tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- Mix the baking soda and the vinegar to form a paste. Then using a toothbrush apply the paste on the jewelry and scrub it clean.
- If you feel the toothbrush will scratch the jewelry then apply the paste on the jewelry and using a soft cloth gently rub to remove the dirt.
- This recipe can be used to clean silver, gold as well as platinum.
If you clean the jewelry with the jewelry cleaning recipes given above then you can be sure to preserve the beauty of your prized ornaments.