Sangria is a fruit-based red wine punch drink that is immensely popular in Spain. However, today it has become one of the most popular drinks in parties worldwide. It is a cold drink made of white or red wine, mixed with sherry or brandy, fruit juices, fruits, sugar, soda water and is garnished with orange and served chill. Though sangria can be made with most varieties of wine, it is typically made with red wine and tastes great when allowed to chill overnight. A non-alcoholic form of sangria can also be made from wine grapes, essence of lemon, carbonated water and sugar. In Spain, sangria is mostly served at informal gatherings from a punchbowl. The drink has become so popular now and in many parts of the world that even bottled sangria are sold. Even so, nothing can beat the taste of freshly prepared Sangria. Here are four recipes of sangria for you to try out at home and enjoy.
- 1 bottle Red Wine (Rioja Reds, Merlot, Shiraz, Zinfandel, etc)
- 1 shot Brandy
- 1 Orange (cut into blocks)
- 1 Lemon (cut into blocks)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 cups Club Soda or Ginger Ale
- Pour the red wine into a pitcher.
- Add fruit blocks into the wine.
- Add brandy and sugar to it.
- Allow it to chill overnight.
- Add club soda or ginger ale before serving along with a few cubes of ice.
You can add a few slices of strawberry, raspberries, fresh blueberries, peaches, kiwi, rum, lime juice, a shot of gin, etc. for additional taste and flavor.
- 1 bottle White Wine (dry)
- ¾ cup Vodka (Peach flavored)
- ¼ cup white Sugar
- ¾ Red Grapes (seedless and halved)
- 6 tbsp frozen concentrated Lemonade (thawed)
- 1 lb white Peaches (sliced and pitted)
- ¾ green Grapes (seedless and halved)
- Take a large pitcher and add dry white wine, concentrated lemonade, peach flavored vodka and sugar.
- Stir nicely until the sugar is dissolved.
- Now, add the sliced peaches, and green grapes.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight for the flavors to blend well.
- Use a slotted wooden spoon to serve the peaches and grapes along with ice.
- 750 ml dry white Wine
- 1 cup Vodka
- ½ cup Triple Sec
- ½ cup Simple Syrup
- 12 cups Watermelon (cubed)
- 1 medium quartered Lime
- 3 cups Watermelon (Seeded)
- 1 cup fresh Blueberries
- 1 Orange (cut into wedges)
- Blend 9 cups of watermelon in a blender until it is smooth as a paste.
- Strain the juice into a pitcher with the help of a strainer.
- Mix the white wine, vodka, simple syrup, and triple sec into the pitcher along with the watermelon juice.
- Stir this mixture well.
- Mix the remaining 3 cups of cubed watermelon, orange wedges, lime quarters and blueberries into the sangria.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Add the seeded watermelon on the top for garnishing.
- Watermelon Sangria is ready to be served.
The New Zealander Sangria
- 1 bottle White Wine (preferably New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Villa Maria Estate, Stoneleigh, Spy Valley Wines, Nautilus Estate, etc.)
- 3-4 Kiwis (peeled and sliced)
- 1 Tangerine (peeled and sliced)
- 1 Lemon (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups Club Soda or Ginger Ale
- ¼ cup Sugar
- Pour wine into the pitcher and squeeze in the juice from the lemon wedges.
- Add sliced kiwi, lemon wedges, tangerine and sugar.
- Stir nicely until the sugar gets mixed well.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Add club soda or ginger ale before serving.
- If you want it to be immediately served, you may add chilled red wine along with a lot of ice cubes.
- The New Zealander Sangria is ready to serve.