Come Christmas time and it is the time to decorate the house as well as the Christmas tree, with ornaments. Even apart from the holiday, we like to decorate our house, so that it gives a cheerful and inviting look. Ornaments are amongst the basic things that come in handy while adorning the house; be it any occasion. Most of the people spend a large amount of cash at ornaments, without realizing that they can also be made at home, easily and at a fraction of the market cost. One of the most popular homemade ornaments comprise of the ones made from dough. If you want to get the recipe as well as some tips for making dough ornaments, make use of the information given below.
How to Make Dough Ornaments
- Flour Sifters
- 1 cup salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cup warm water
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Cutters
- Pen/ Straw
- Paints/ Watercolors/ Permanent Markers
- Sieve salt and flour together. Thereafter, add water to the mixture.
- Knead the flour till it forms firm dough. Make sure that the dough is stiff. If it is not, add more flour.
- Roll out the dough, with the help of a rolling pin.
- With the helps of cookie cutters, cut out ornaments from the dough. Otherwise, you can also cut your own shapes and figures, by hand.
- With the help of a pin or a straw, make a hole on top of the ornament, from which you will hang it.
- Bake ornaments in the oven for 1 hour, keeping the setting at low.
- After the ornaments get baked, let them cool down a bit.
- Proceed with the process of decorating the ornaments. For the purpose, use paint, watercolor or colored markers (permanent).
- When the paint/color/marker gets dry, coat the ornaments with varnish.
- Finally, put a ribbon through the hole in the ornaments and hang them.