Have you ever thought of bringing the magic of yesteryear puppetry alive in the present times? If yes, then you would be surprised to know that puppets are not a hard deal to make. All you need is an old sock, some craft items and little bit of creativity - and you are done. You can add all sorts of features, to make an endless array of puppets. The puppets would not only serve as excellent comic characters for your home, but also do well in decorating your drawing room. And the fact that you have made it is likely to bring in more appreciation. In the following lines, we have provided ways for making sock puppet. Just explore and know how to master the art!!
Making A Sock Puppet
- Scissors and Paper
- Hot Melt Glue Gun
- Pink or Red Felt
- Artificial Eyes
- Cut out a suitable shape from of the cardboard. The cardboard piece should not be too big.
- Fold the cardboard piece in half. Push the folded mouthpiece into the sock, in such a way that the curved ends are towards the toe end of the sock.
- Wherever the mouthpiece ends in the sock, mark it with chalk and thereafter cut it off.
- Flatten out the sock with your hand, in such a way that heal of the sock is on the top.
- Remove the extra sock material around the cardboard mouthpiece.
- Now, fold open the toe end of the sock and the mouthpiece.
- Put some hot melt glue in the center of the lower edge of the cardboard mouthpiece. Put the edge of the sock material over the glue.
- Place some glue on the top edge of the mouthpiece. Put the edge of the sock over the mouthpiece. As you press the mouthpiece down, put some more glue.
- For making the mouth, cut another mouthpiece from pink or red felt.
- It should fit over the cardboard mouthpiece and slightly cover the edge.
- Cut a tongue piece for the puppet and put it inside the mouth, with the help of glue.
- Stuff the sock puppet with something to make your puppet firm. Make ears, eyes, teeth, and other features with anything you want.
- Your sock puppet is ready.
- An Old Sock
- Milk-bottle Plastic
- Wriggly Eye
- Small Leaves
- Small yarns pieces
- The first step would be to put the sock on your hand in such a way that your fingers and thumb are in the toe position, while the back of your wrist rests in place of the heel.
- For making a room in your puppet’s mouth, make a slit in the sock between your thumb and fingers.
- Now, take a plastic milk bottle and a fabric and cut two ovals of the same size. The oval should be 3 inches across and 5 inches long.
- With the help of glue, stick the fabric oval to the milk-bottle plastic oval.
- Once the glue has dried, fold them in half, the short way
- The next step would be to sew the folded oval into your sock.
- You would be glad to see that your puppet can talk now.
- It is now time to play with the features of your loveable puppet. While wriggly eye is perfect for eyes, small leaves would do well for moustache and beard.
- As for the hair, get some small yarns pieces and stick them on the head of the puppet.
- You can also dress the puppet by putting a small lace, as the tie for the puppet.
- Just use your imagination and create the most adorable puppet you have ever seen!!