“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” These few words by Charles W. Eliot depict the true essence of reading books. Books serve as friends for life and are your silent companions, who will be always there for you even when you have no one else to turn to. They take you to a different world altogether, where you forget all your immediate worries and are acquainted with different aspects of life. Hence, it is extremely vital to preserve them properly. The best way to maintain a book for a long period of time is to have it neatly covered. This will prevent the outer binding of the book from tearing, when one reads them. Covers protect the book from wear and tear and thus, increase their longevity. From the classic brown paper to the contemporary fancy paper, there are large varieties available in the market, as far as a book cover is concerned. Making book cover is an easy task, but you should know the right way to do it. In the following lines, we have provided instructions on how to make a paper book cover.
Making Homemade Paper Book Cover
- Flat Work Surface
- Clear Tape
- Brown Paper
- Rubber Stamps
- After purchasing the brown paper grocery bag from the market, cut it along the side seam. A rectangular sheet of brown paper will be rolled up inside, measuring approximately around 17 by 36 inches.
- Place the book to be covered over the sheet of paper and mark down the top and bottom edges of the book, using either a pencil or a marker.
- Cut brown paper according to the size of the book. Make sure the paper is 1 inch big on all sides of the book, so that it can be folded to form a cover.
- The next step is to lay the paper horizontally on a flat work surface.
- Place the book on one side of the paper. Open the front and back covers of the book and fold the left and right edges over the respective cover sides.
- The left edge of the paper should reach halfway across the inside front cover and the right edge cover should reach the same distance on the back cover, when the book is closed.
- While the front and back side cover is neatly folded inside, it is now the turn of the top and the bottom of the book.
- Fold the top and bottom covers neatly and cut the edges coming out with a pair of scissors.
- Tape each fold in place, at the top and bottom of the paper, to form pockets for the front and back covers of the book.
- Write your name on the top, right side of the front cover.
- The cover might be a little boring for some of you. You can resort to crayons, stickers or rubber stamps to decorate it.