Crochet is the term used to describe the process, using which yarn is turned into fabric, with the help of a crochet hook. The word 'crochet' finds its origin in Middle French word 'croc' or 'croche', which means 'hook'. Crochet work, which mainly comprises of pulling loops of yarn through other loops, is quite similar to knitting. The only difference between the two is that in the former, only one loop is active at one time and a crochet hook is used instead of knitting needles. Crochet can be used to make a number of items, such as TV covers, scarves, headbands, and so on. In the following lines, we have provided instructions for making handmade crochet purse.
Handmade Crochet Purse
- Crochet Hook, size G
- 3 Rolls of Crocket Thread, size 18
- Tapestry Needle
- First of all, you need to make the body of the purse. For the purpose, chain 40 and turn.
- Skipping the first chain, single crochet in the remaining 38. Make sure to chain one and turn at the end of the row. Repeat 17 more times.
- With 15 half-double crochet, spaced evenly along the sides and the bottom, work around the body of the purse.
- Place three half-double crochet in each of the two bottom corners.
- After finishing each round, work a slip-stitch and join with the beginning half-double crochet.
- Following the same steps 35 times, work around the purse. Then, tie off and cut the yarn.
- Repeat the complete steps once again, for the other side of the purse.
- Join both the pieces of the purpose, with the help of matching yarn.
- Around the purse openings, do a sc into each sc. Do a slip-stitch in the beginning stitch to join and end.
- The body of the purse is ready. Now, you need to make the handles.
- With a single crochet in the 15th half-double crochet to the right of the center, join the yarn.
- Single crochet into 29 more stitches and turn, continuing with single crochet across. Make sure to go on decreasing one single crochet at the beginning and the ending of each row and turn at the end of each row.
- Continue doing the above step till the time there are 5 stitches left.
- In the five remaining stitches, single crochet or 45 more rows. Remember to chain one and turn after each row.
- At the end of the rows, tie off and cut the yarn.
- Since you have to make handles for the purse, start one from the front of the purse and the other from the back. This way, you will always be starting in the 15th half-double crochet from the center.
- Make the loop for the button closure. Now, crochet a cord to fit the button and form it into a loop with a slip-stitch.
- Finally, sew the button on one side of the purse and the loop on the other, positioning them to form the closure.