Nasal congestion, one of the worst problems to strike you with the changing weather, is extremely irritating. Not only do you get a nasal twang in your voice, but are also not able to breathe properly, especially at night (when the nose gets completely blocked after you like down). Nasal congestion occurs when the blood vessels lining the mucosal membrane (of the inside of the nose) expand. This results in the swelling of the mucosal membrane, thus leading to blocked nose, in other words nasal congestion. However, rather than running to the doctor every time you suffer from nasal congestion, it is advisable to try some home remedies. They are very effective and do not contain any side effects as well. Let us explore some of them.
Natural Remedies For Treatment of Nasal Congestion
- Boil salted water and then pour it in a sterilized container. After it cools down, fill a dropper with the solution. Now, lie down on the bed, with your nose facing the ceiling. Put a few drops of the solution in both the nostrils. As soon as the salt water reaches your throat, blow your nose.
- Crush some carom seeds and place a handful of them in a handkerchief. Tie the handkerchief well and keep it near your pillow, before sleeping. Its fumes will help clear the congestion.
- Get a clean handkerchief and put a drop or two of either eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil on it. Now, hold the damp area close to your nose and inhale deeply.
- Grate horseradish and inhale the fumes deeply. Now, mix a tsp of the grated horseradish with a little apple cider vinegar or honey, spread it on a toast and eat.
- Mix together 1 cup tomato juice, 1 tsp chopped fresh garlic, 1/2 tsp hot sauce, 1 tsp lemon juice, and a pinch of celery salt. Now, heat the solution well and drink.
- Stay away from foods that are full of sugar and carbohydrates, since they tend to worsen the nasal congestion. Rather, stick to whole grains, vegetable and fish.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar to treat nasal congestion. Pour two inches of apple cider vinegar in a pan and heat it. As soon as steam begins to form, inhale its vapor.
- Take a teaspoon of cardamom seeds and place them on hot coals. Now, inhale the smoke that arises from it. It will prove to be quite effective in treating nasal congestion.
- Mix together 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 8 ounces of warm water. With the helps of a dropper, put a few drops of the solution in both the nostrils, one by one.
- Try to consume as many hot beverages as you can, in the form of tea, coffee, soup, etc. It will not only help relieve nasal congestion, but also prevent dehydration.
- Whenever you feel that your nose is getting too blocked, take a hot bath/ shower. The steam from the hot shower would surely help relieve the congestion.
- You can make a nasal rinse with grapefruit as well. Put a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in 1/2 a cup of warm water and inhale the steam. Repeat 2-3 times a day, especially before going to bed and after getting up in the morning.