Everyone knows the importance of water for the proper functioning of the body. It is circulated throughout the body, flushing out toxins and is then filtered out. However, sometimes, due to various causes, the water remains trapped under the skin, causing inflammation. The most common places where the inflammation occurs are feet, ankles, under eyes and fingertips. In women, swollen feet can also be caused due to pregnancy, because at that time, their body experiences different hormonal changes. Swollen feet results in pain, which can range from severe to mild. The mobility of the patient is also hampered and he/ she is likely to feel more tired. What to do now? Like other disorders, herbal remedies work well in case of swollen feet as well. They are not only effective, but most of them are also easily found within the house, thus saving you a lot of expenses. These remedies concentrate on the use of medicinal herbs to treat swollen legs. To know more on herbs for swollen feet, go through the lines that follow.
Herbal Cures For Swollen Foot
Take two tablespoons of mustard oil and heat it a little. Rub the warm oil on your swollen feet. You can also soak two teaspoons of mustard seeds in water and apply it to the swollen area. Mustard is very effective in providing relief from the problem.
This medicinal herb is a powerful diuretic. Include parsley in your diet, to cure swollen feet. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, which are very essential for good health.
Dandelion is a weed that serves as an excellent cure for water retention. It also has diuretic properties, which help remove excess water from the body, thus providing relief from swollen feet. You can take dandelion in the form of tea or tincture.
Grinko improves body circulation and thus, helps in reducing accumulation of water in the feet. It is one of the best herbs that can be used to relieve problems related to painful legs.
A peppermint foot-bath is a good way to relief the pain resulting from swollen feet. To reduce the swelling, take hot and cold feet soak. Fill two buckets, one with hot water, and another with cold. Add peppermint to both of them. First, soak your feet in hot water, for as long as you can stand it (say about 10 minutes) and then quickly shift to the cold water, for 30 seconds. Do this several times, to get relief.
Additional Herbal Remedies
- Mix lemon juice, cinnamon, olive oil, water, and milk and apply this mixture on the swollen area of the feet.
- Apply apple cider vinegar on your swollen feet, as it helps to remove excess fluid from the body cells.
- Mix together essential oils of peppermint, eucalyptus, and lemon in water and massage the feet with it.
- Rice water improves microcirculation. For an effective relief, mix rice water with baking powder and plain water and rub the swollen area with it.
- Soak your feet in tea tree oil to get relief from pain and swelling.
- Massage your feet with lavender essential oil.
- Massaging the foot with sandalwood oil will also give a soothing effect.
- Add ginger to your diet, as it is a very good remedy for swelling. You can also have onions and garlic, as they have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the inflammation causing agents.
- Broccoli contains calcium and vitamin C, which help in fighting swelling. Have steamed broccoli at least thrice a week.
- The carotenoids in spinach also fight inflammation to a great extent. So, incorporate spinach in your diet.
- Soak almonds and walnuts overnight and consume thm in the morning.
- Brew a tea of witch hazel and soak a piece of cloth in it. Rub the cloth over the swollen area, to relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
- Take a few leaves of cabbage and tie them in a moist cloth. Place over the swollen area.
- You can also place cucumber slices over potato slices and tie the two over the swelling, using a cloth. This will help in reducing the inflammation.
- To reduce swollen feet during pregnancy, drink a glass of warm limejuice every day.
- Another way to control swelling is to take 3 to 4 tablespoons of lecithin seeds every day, during pregnancy.
- Soak 20 sesame seeds in water, overnight. Drink the water next morning, on an empty stomach.
- Mix one teaspoon of palm sugar and two teaspoons of fennel seeds in two cups of water. Boil till the mixture reduces to half. Drink this thrice a day, to prevent swollen feet.
- Boil two teaspoons of coriander seeds in two glass of water, until the mixture reduces to half. Drink a glass each, for three days.
- Mix a cup of bitter gourd juice with a tablespoon of limejuice and drink it on an empty stomach. Drink this for 4 to 5 months.