Yoga has been around for centuries now and its effectiveness in bringing relief from stress is beyond debate. According to Yoga, relaxation implies loosening of the tension in your body as well as your mind. Conscious relaxation techniques can train your body muscles to relax and release their grip, when they are not in use. This article brings some simple yoga techniques for relaxation and stress-relief, to help you out. These exercises are to be performed in a calm and peaceful environment, for maximum effect. Just try them at home and improve your health and sense of well-being.
Yoga Postures For Stress Relief
Given below are two of the most basic yoga techniques for relaxation. Both of them are very effective as well.
- Lie down flat on your back and stretch out your arms. Now, keep them relaxed by your side. You can also place a small pillow under your head and one under your knees, for some added comfort.
- Close your eyes and try to relax your mind and body. You can also imagine yourself relaxing in your favorite way, to bring yourself into a soothing mood, such as lying peacefully in white sand on a sunny beach.
- The next step is to take a few deep breaths, while lengthening the exhalation activity.
- Contract your feet muscles for a few seconds and relax them consciously. Repeat the process on the muscles in your calves, upper legs, buttocks, abdomen, chest, back, hands, forearms, upper arms, shoulders, neck, and face. In other words, relax all the muscles of the body.
- Scan all your muscles periodically to check that they are relaxed. Subtle tension is discovered in the area encompassing the eye and scalp muscles. Make sure you relax your mouth and tongue as well.
- Keep your breathing pattern free and focus on the growing tension-free sensation in the body.
- As you approach the end of the relaxation session, allow the relaxed feeling to remain as long as possible, before you open your eyes.
- When you open your eyes, stretch your body lazily and lift it up slowly, from the ground.
- Practice this technique for anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes. Keep the duration longer for better results.
- Get comfortably seated on the floor. Lift your left leg and place it over the right thigh and your right foot on your left thigh.
- Now, bend your right leg at the knee and hold your right foot, using your hands. Place your right foot on your opposite thigh.
- You have to repeat the same process with the left knee, to hold the left foot using your hands. Then, place your left foot on the opposite thigh.
- Both your knees should be placed on the floor, with the bottoms of your feet facing upward. Your spine should be straight as well.
- To de-stress yourself, have both your hands with your palms facing up. Place one hand on the top of the other and lay both of them on the heels of your feet.