One of the first signs by which you can know that winter is approaching is when you touch your hair and it feels like you are patting a doormat. The hair gradually starts resembling like coconut fibers and your scalp starts to look like a parched land. And the itch that results from dry scalps is horrible to say the least. It seems that nothing but scratching with an iron brush can give any relief. All this happens only if you don’t take proper care of your hair during winter. Winter calls for special treatments because due to lack of moisture in the air the hair and the skin also dry up resulting in brittle hair and scaly scalp. So, it is left to you to provide the moisture and nourishment if you wish your hair to last through the winter and welcome spring. A good way, perhaps the best, is to use homemade treatments that preserve the health of your skin. These treatments, since they use all natural ingredients do not have any side effects and so are far more beneficial then commercial products. Home remedies are also far more effective and they go easy on the pocket. All in all, a very sweet deal. Read below on how you can take care of your hair during winter with various home remedies.
Winter Hair Treatment
- 2 Eggs (keep the yolks and discard the whites)
- 1 small jar Mayonnaise
- ½ Avocado
- In a bowl mash the avocado and then add the egg yolks. Mix thoroughly. Then add the mayonnaise and mix until smooth.
- Apply this conditioner on the hair from the root to the tip.
- Then wrap the head in a plastic wrap and on top of it place a hot steamed damp towel. Leave it for 25 minutes and then rinse the hair in cool water.
Benefits – This treatment is very effective in hydrating dull and dry hair, which is very common during the winter months. It conditions the hair and also prevents split ends.
Ginger Dandruff Treatment
- 1 tbsp Ginger Root Juice
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Lime Juice (fresh)
- In a small bowl take the ginger root juice, vegetable oil, and lime juice. Mix together.
- Apply this on the scalp and leave it for 20 minutes to dry.
- Apply a mild shampoo and rinse the hair.
Benefits – The winter results in itchy and dry scalp. The dandruff in the scalp also increases. Using this treatment twice a week will effectively reduce the itchiness and also the dandruff to a great measure.
- 1/2 Banana
- 1/4 Cantaloupe
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp plain Yogurt
- Take all the ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Wash the hair thoroughly and apply this mixture on the hair from the roots to the tips. Leave it for 30 minutes to set.
- Rinse with cool water.
Benefits – During winter when the hair becomes rough and unmanageable, this conditioner keeps the hair smooth and silky.
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp any mild Shampoo
- Blend the lemon juice, olive oil, and mayonnaise in a blender until smooth.
- Then add the shampoo and mix.
- Rinse the hair, then apply the shampoo mixture, and then rinse again.
Benefits – Lemon is an excellent moisturizer. It prevents the scalp and hair from drying. This conditioner also nourishes the hair keeping it healthy and shiny.
- 1 ripe Banana
- 3 to 4 drops Almond Oil
- Mash the banana into a fine paste. Add the almond oil and mix thoroughly.
- Massage it into the hair taking care to apply it on the roots.
- Leave it to set for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with a mild shampoo.
Benefits – This is very beneficial for dry and damaged hair. It strengthens the hairs so that the hair doesn’t break.