Hydrotherapy, as the name suggests, is a therapy that uses water to treat physical conditions and relieve aches through thermal indulgences, like hot baths, wraps, saunas, packs, douches and more. Also known as water treatment, it is not a recent medical breakthrough though. It has been around for centuries now, and was extensively used in the past by Greeks, Japanese, Chinese, Egyptians and Romans, to cure various ailments. Today, hydrotherapy is being used to treat various musculoskeletal disorders i.e. disorders relating to muscles, tendons and joints as well as paralysis, stroke, spasticity, and burns. When the body is in pain or under stress, its pulse rate and blood pressure usually rise up. Hydrotherapy helps relax the body in such a case, by boosting the production of endorphins in brain, which are known to have analgesic properties and even help increase the oxygen flow in blood. In hydrotherapy, either the body is immersed in water, partially or fully, or the affected area is treated with water as a warm compress or ice pack. Hydrotherapy entails different types of water treatments, like full immersion bath, sitzbath, wraps, compresses, footbath and even internal procedures like colon therapy. The therapy is best for treating ailments like rheumatism, arthritis, sciatica, back pain, aching and swollen joints, insomnia, fatigue, stress, poor circulation and muscular pain. Let us explore its benefits in detail.
Benefits Of Hydrotherapy
- Hydrotherapy is known to do wonders for people suffering from sleeplessness or insomnia. It is definitely a better option than sedatives and tranquilizers, which are known to have unpleasant side effects. All it takes is a great hydrotherapy bath to unwind your taxed self and set you snoring.
- The therapy is also known to relieve any kind of stress and tension. If you are suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia, stress or anxiety can just make you feel worse. A relaxing thermal therapy will ease out your physical and mental stress, loosening tense, tight muscles and encouraging relaxation,leaving you feeling fresh and wonderful.
- Hydrotherapy is known to boost circulation and relieve any stiffness. Because of the buoyancy of water, you experience a weight reduction, which boosts your circulation and eases rigidity.
- The therapy relieves your body from all kinds of aches and pains. It is best for muscular pains, joint pains, and even rheumatic pains. Hydrotherapy bath releases vibrations on your body that alleviate your muscle tone, thereby relaxing all pressure on your painful joints, which in turn, improves your circulation.
- Hydrotherapy or water therapy with sauna or steam baths or more accurately, hydrothermal therapy boosts detoxification. It encourages the body to sweat, an important detoxification fluid that eliminates toxins and wastes from our body, keeping us healthy.
- The therapy is also used to treat intestinal problems and boost metabolism as well as digestion. It flushes toxic waste out of the intestine and boosts colon health.
- Hydrotherapy also increases skin blood flow. It cleans, exfoliates, and massages your skin, leaving it pampered & glowing. Skin is the largest body organ. Hydrotherapy detoxifies it, boosting its health and keeping it looking young and fresh for a long time.