Alpha Lipoic Acid is an antioxidant that helps the body in producing energy as well as regenerating its various parts. Found to be helpful in the prevention of many diseases, the acid is found in meats as well as vegetables. Soluble in both water and oil, it is considered a universal antioxidant. Also known as lipoic acid or thioctic acid, it is found in every cell inside the human body. It contains sulphur and is known to generate energy that helps keep living organisms alive and functioning properly.
Alpha lipoic acid is credited with a number of health benefits, primary amongst being its ability to fight free radicals, protecting DNA in the cells and helping the body fight various diseases. It aids a variety of vital energy-producing reactions in the body as well. The acid greatly helps in reducing the oxidative damage in the cells and is also known to prove beneficial in stabilizing or even reversing the damage in the cells. Let us explore the benefits of alpha lipoic acid in detail.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)
Alpha lipoic acid has many benefits, most of which have been mentioned in the lines below:
- Alpha lipoic acid helps in producing Vitamin C and E, which are one of the vital nutrients required for the healthy functioning of our body.
- ALA has antioxidant properties and helps fight the free radicals inside the body, which can lead to cataract and even cancer.
- The acid helps keep the skin looking fresh and wrinkle free for a long time and also proves beneficial in weight control.
- Alpha lipoic acid helps in the detoxification process, since increases the level of glutathione in the body.
- The lens and retina of the eye are protected from degeneration because of the presence ALA in the body.
- The acid is widely used to treat and detoxify liver problems. Thus, it helps maintain the metabolism level as well as digestion capacity of the body. It is extremely beneficial for those who are suffering from liver degeneration problem due to excess alcohol.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid can prove to be beneficial for patients who are suffering from glaucoma.
- ALA prevents brain damage in older people, as it helps in the regeneration of nerve cells. This is why it is also used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
- The acid is extremely beneficial for people suffering from diabetics and it also beneficial for others as it balances the level of blood sugar in non-diabetics.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid helps the body in reducing the damage caused by sugar in our body i.e. accelerated aging.
- ALA helps in balancing the level of cholesterol and treating cardiovascular problems in a human body.
Alpha Lipoic Acid can be really helpful in the following cases:
- In case of high cholesterol patients
- For people who suffer from the problem of cataract
- In case of people who have become victims of premature ageing
- For people affected with heart problems, like hardening of arteries
- In case of people suffering from obesity