A marriage is like a journey with many surprises along the way. The terrain you travel might have unknown and unexpected obstacles. Some of these obstacles seem insurmountable. Nevertheless, there are couples who seem to be able to make a success of their marriage by the way in which they deal with the problems that they face. Dealing with problems requires good communication. However, there are some couples, who feel that giving their marriage mate the “silent treatment” is the best way to deal with a problem. When a marriage reaches this point, there is going to be rough weather for that relationship. Communication involves the sharing of ideas and feelings. Good communication is made possible by means of trust, confidence, and mutual understanding. Some marriage mates might hesitate to speak to their spouse because of fear of how the conversation might turn out. There are still others who have been conditioned to believe that expressing one’s feelings is a sign of weakness. However, communication in marriage is very important, and will benefit your marriage immensely. Read on to know the importance of effective communication in marriage.
Importance Of Effective Communication In Marriage
- A good conversation involves giving the other person your undivided attention. This will help you bond more. While the euphoria of marriage may evaporate after a few years, friendship between you and your mate will last a lifetime.
- You feel more connected to each other because you share each others’ thoughts and dreams. This will make sure that the bond you share is strong and that you know your spouse as you know yourself.
- Apart from being a good listener, when there is good communication, you get your thoughts and feelings heard and respected. This can lead to higher comfort levels within the marriage, and room for misunderstandings is reduced.
- Good communication is very vital to resolve problems and issues. Left unresolved, small problems can snowball into a major issue that could crush your marriage. Many relationship counselors say that most issues that they deal with in shaky marriages could have been resolved with good communication. In some cases, lack of communication can even lead to the point of separation or divorce.
- You get to discuss and explore solutions to problems when you have good communication. This ensures that you and your mate deal with the problem hand in hand. In this way, you not only resolve the problem, but when you do so together, you will be drawn closer together.
- You and your spouse get to understand each other more, each time you communicate with each other. This goes a long way to prevent future problems since both your needs will be understood. Apart from this, each would be able to understand the other person’s reactions to situations as well as feelings.
- You and your spouse will have your hearts bound together in lasting love. This is by far the most important reason, why you would need to have good communication in your marriage. Love is the most lasting bond of union.